Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing - lid up or down

rodent
rodent Posts: 106
edited December 2011 in Pork
When you are searing steaks low over hot lump do you shut the lid for the time of the sear. I use a Spyder with a CI for searing and leave the lid up. What's best?

Thanks

Comments

• BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159

Lid up so the charcoal gets the air it needs.

I just tried the TREX method described here with a couple of ribeyes last week and wife and daughter said they were as good a Ruth's Chris ( I think they say this stuff to keep me cooking :)   )

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm 

Get the coals hot until they look like lava.  Throw the steaks on 90 seconds per side (you can rotate 90 degrees half-way through for nice sear marks).  Then remove from the grill, tent with foil and close up grill and let it cool down to around 400 (takes a little while to cool down lava).  Throw steaks back on until they reach your desired internal temp. You might want to flip steaks after a couple of minutes so they cook evenly.

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Yes have the lid down. I can't think of any reason ever cooking anything the lid would be up. Except to turn or look at food.

Rodent using Spyder with a CI for searing  is one of the only times you would use time and not temp. Down on the spyder and CI your are close to the 1100 coming off the coals and I don't want to take a temp in meat there.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I go lid up,  just lessens my chances of getting flashed.  Plus, I blacken more than sear, so it can involve a little more smoke.........

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Nice Pic!  I'm hungry!.  I got a shoulder smoking on the grill and I'm looking at your steaks.  This bowl of Cheerios I'm about to eat is not gonna cut it.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"