Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

do I need a thermo pen as well...

Options
smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Merry Christmas to everyone. Question I have is, I have a remote thermometer with probe (cable type). Use it for long and slow cooks, pork tenderloin etc. Now if I want to check internal temps say on a burger or steak, is this the right set up. Will it give a quick reading. When I am flipping burgers or steaks, the probe and cable would be a hinderance in my mind. I don't want to be poking holes in a good steak, so that is why I am asking. Is it worth getting a thermo pen as well. Or do I just get used to the egg style of grilling without it. In the past I haven't used any type of thermometer on a gasser. Would the pen be over kill if I already have the probe/cable style.
Have a Great Christmas with your families.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I've got both; like you mentioned the cables are a bit of a hindrance when hot-grilling, and I too just grill by eye on anything thin, like a skirt steak or chicken poillard.  The Thermapen is pricey but after I made my last house payment I decided to splurge a bit, and I'm glad to have it.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Forgot to mention, the Thermapen has a very fine tip, and doesn't leave a gaping hole in a steak like my cabled probes do...

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Signal 99
    Options
    Got both & Luv my pen
    ~HOPE~ is wishing something would happen. ~FAITH~ is believing something will happen. ~COURAGE~ is making something happen......