Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venting The BGE In Outdoor Kitchen

Options
bxcrwlly
bxcrwlly Posts: 8
edited December 2011 in Off Topic
My contractor installed a 1250 CFM hood vent over our large BGE in an outdoor kitchen.  He used a gooseneck roof vent.  When smoking on the BGE, with ventillation on high, smoke is forced down the roofline into the lanai.  Looking for ideas on how to divert the smoke from the goosneck roof vent.

Comments

• hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Not sure what a lanai is, but I too have a 1200 CVM Vent-a-Hood over my outdoor kitchen.  What I know and learned from its installation is that it is critical that the proper size duct work and vent cap be installed to ensure peak performance from the hood.  You need to avoid turns and elbows in the vent pipe also. 

My roof cap directs the exaust straight down the roofline. It is a standard cap from Vent-a-Hood and is constructed in such a way that requires this orientation in order to keep rainwater out of the vent pipe and hood.  I suspect this is what you are describing also?  Perhaps you can supply a picture?

Check with you contractor and/or hood supplier to see what other types of vent caps are available.  You can probably find this information online.  Just be sure it meets the specs for your hood in terms of size.

My hood requires 12" ductwork and roof cap - anything smaller lessens efficiency dramatically. 

See the roof cap directly above my vent a hood?  Another one is visible in the left side of the picture venting the kitchen hood.  Is your's similar?

Good luck
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • bxcrwlly
    bxcrwlly Posts: 8
    edited December 2011
    Options
    hogaholic...thanks for the info....very helpful.  Meeting again with contractor next week.  I believe they may have installed 10" duct.  FYI...a lanai is basically a "Floridian" term for an outdoor roof covered patio.  Due to county regs in Florida, we're required to vent with a "goose-neck" vent due to hurricanes/rain.  Believe they may also account for some smoke accumulation due to restrictive air flow.  After my post, I contacted the vent hood Mfgr. who also replicated your comments on the duct and vent.  Contractor installed a roof attached baffle facing the vent to divert some smoke off of roof line....that's the brown object in the pic.  BTW...I have a cousin who lives in Jackson.