Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza sans stone?

Options
Wahooegger
Wahooegger Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Let me preface this by saying that I've never made pizza on the BGE, but plan to soon. I've been told by some non-BGE users that they grill pizzas directly on the grill, without a pizza stone, and can't tell any difference from when they use a stone. I suspect they still use an indirect set up, but don't actually place the pizza on a stone. Has anyone tried this?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    You can grill pizza just on the rack, doing it direct. You bake the pizza crust about 1/2 way, then remove it from the grill, add the toppings and then finish. I've not done it that way, so I'm not sure about the 1/2 way and what temp you use, how far from the fire, etc. but I've seen it done on TV and read about it.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wahooegger
    Wahooegger Posts: 95
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out. The issue, if you didn't guess, is that I don't have a pizza stone yet. Do you think there would be any problem with cooking directly on fire bricks?

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    If you lay them out to cover the whole crust that would be as good as a pizza stone. That is what happens in a woodfired oven when you don't have an egg and build one in your backyard.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Wahooegger, not that my pizza stone is anywhere near sanitary, but I think I would use some of that "Release" aluminum foil on top of those firebricks.

• Unknown
    Options
    Wahooegger,[p]Do them indirect on a pan.[p]37MVC-007E.jpg[p]The picture shows 3 eight inch in diameter low carb pizzas done on flour tortillas and ready to go into the cooker. [p]Dave

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Wahooegger, I personally am a fan of a pizza stone on top of my plate sitter. Now, with that said I have helped bake pizzas from a local pizzera that is cooked in some sort of high temp cardboard. It goes on top of the metal grill which is sitting on a plate sitter with the legs up. It happens to be good pizza and the crust is wonderful - though I was a doubter when told to put the cardboard right on the grill.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Goin' a little lite on the cheese aren't ya'? (grinning)

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Wise One,
    That's a good suggestion. I'll try it next time........

• Unknown
    Options
    Morning John,[p]You know, it really doesn't come out like it has too much cheese but a fellow needs something on it to make him feel like there is some dough in the pizza. Sometimes, I will also put a layer of sliced mozzarella on first to give me the feel of dough when I eat it. This is what it looks like after Egging.[p]37MVC-008E.jpg[p]It is very difficult for this old fat man to have to give up dough and pasta on the low carb diets. Thank goodness, I usually only do this for a few months in the winter. I have figured out some substitutes to make several of my favorite dishes low carb with the use of tons of cheese to give the same mouth feel as if it had dough or pasta. If you think my pizza had a lot of cheese and it did, my low carb lasagna will often have 5 layers of cheese of some type. Gotta do something when you have to leave the pasta out! If a fellow can get enough layers of sliced cheese of some type in this dish, it is pretty easy to convince yourself that there is pasta in there somewhere. hehe[p]33MVC-020E.jpg[p]This picture show my prep of low carb lasagna. I will usually use 3-4 layers of sliced mozzarella along with a thick layer of ricotta and then on top will usually have another thick layer of a blended shreadded cheese or just straight shreadded mozzarella. [p]33MVC-023E.jpg[p]Here it is going on the Egg.[p]33MVC-016E.jpg[p]This is a serving and we have fed this to many guests and not a one of them knew that this dish didn't contain any pasta so I guess I got enough cheese in there to fool them. [p]I am now off the diet and can make my own pasta for this great dish and others. Fresh pasta is a treat that is to die for and is so much better than anything a person can purchase at a store. [p]27MVC-013E.jpg[p]This is my home made lasagna noodles and is enough for two bakes. I will usually freeze about half for a second bake. Fresh pasta like this will usually cook in about 2-3 minutes and is so good, that you will want to make a meal out of it with a light sprinkle of some parmesan and maybe a little salt. [p]Have a grate day,[p]Dave[p][p][p]