Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone In Raw 20 lb Ham????new to forum.why can't I comment?

rockytop
rockytop Posts: 1
edited December 2011 in Root
In-laws are coming for Christmas and they all love ham! We want to smoke a raw bone-in 20 lb ham on our BGE and of course want it to be EXCEPTIONAL!!! Questions: #1. Any tried and true recipes? #2. How long and what temp? #3. Any thoughts on smoking it ahead and putting it in the freezer (which we would really, really like to do if we can do that and maintain quality). ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I posted this discussion earlier, but forum won't let me comment in answer to your replies. Anyone know why? (I'm not tech savvy at all :)

Stike, forum doesn't let me comment, but in answer to your question ",Why we want to smoke the ham ahead?" It is because we will be renting a lodge about 10 miles from our house for the family for Christmas. We cannot transport the egg and really do not want to be running back and forth all day and night keeping our eye on it. (And yes, it is a raw, fresh, ham.)

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    I dont think you need to freeze it. Seems an uneccesary complication

If it is raw and uncured, it's basically a pork roast. I dont have any advice on cooking a leg roast.

You could fully cook it (140-150, i'd be at 140 or so) with smoke, refrigerate, and reheat to 130-140 the day you serve it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've done fresh ham a couple of times, not enough to have a "tried and true" recipe. Here's one from 2 years ago.

[IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g57/gdenby/FreshHamCooked.jpg[/IMG]

My recollection is that I brought it to room temperature, drizzled it with maple syrup and a light coating of rub. Then slashed the diamond pattern. Used a couple of chunks of maple wood. Cooked with the dome at 300, pulled at 145 (I didn't let my wife know the temperature, as she get way too nervous if pork is not cooked to death. Not certain how long it took. I think it was longer than I expected, more than 4 hours. 

The brown bits were just chewy, and greasy. Anyplace the slashes were deep enough, or where the meat was exposed at the ends was most delicious, being both brown and coated with the rub and fat drippings. Deeper cuts would have made for more of that, and maybe hurried the cooking up a little.

Otherwise, it was just a good pork roast. Not as tender as a loin, but very moist.

I would not freeze the meat after cooking. The one pictured stored well in the fridge, and made for very good leftovers.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    question for you gdenby... did you skin it first? or i guess rather, did it have the skin still on it when you cooked it?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    It came skinned, but had a pretty thick layer of fat over most of it, and some "semi-skin," sort of a rind in places.