Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Comparing Auto Temp Controllers

bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,055
edited December 2011 in Forum List

I need an
auto temp controller for a Christmas cook. I want something that will control
my large BGE from 200° and up. Something with a blower. Most all I see
currently are the PartyQ, DigiQ and NanoQ. Am I missing any?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The NanoQ
looks to be missing meat temp read-out.

The PartyQ
(on back order till end of Jan 2012).

The DigiQ
looks like what I'm after. I want to see the pit temp and food temp. Are there
other temp controllers out there? If I have a wireless meat temp gage already,
would the NanoQ be my better option? I want a set it and forget it system. I
live in Minnesota. I don't want to baby sit my BGE when it's -20°F outside.

Looks like
the bbqguru has all models. Would you recommend buying there?

Thanks!!

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• BrimoBrimo Posts: 51

Make sure you take a look at the "Stoker" sold by Rocks Bar-B-Que.  Hoping this is what the wife has under the tree for me this Christmas.  Been eyeing it for while now.  Think it will do just what you want.

Brimo

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    edited December 2011
    bigguy, you may be interested in my Product Reviews web page.  I have reviews of the Stoker, the iQue 100, the Auber Instruments controller and all the BBQ Guru models except the PartyQ.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • I chose the cyberqII
  • chrisnjennchrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited December 2011
    Stoker is the best out of all of them IMO. I researched it to death. Stoker is far more versatile and you can do multiple Eggs with it.
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    I have the Auber Instraments cotroller. It's no frills, butcontrols the dome temp +/- 5 degrees. Way good enough for most needs, unless you fancy yourself a techy.
  • I ordered the Stoker should ship any day
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,055
    Does anyone have trouble with too much air drafting by the fan when doing 200° or less? Is there a flapper to seal off the air when the egg temp is too warm?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,360
    edited December 2011
    There should be a damper in the barrel of the blower assembly. Depending on which type you have

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• My cyberqII has a draft adjuustment on the blower
  • That is what I have as well. I keep it at about 1/4 moon shape

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• We like our STOKER, we give it a good workout when it is hooked up and overseeing 4 cookers at a time.

Our competition cooks depend on them.  Thumbs up!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Thanks everyone.

I ordered the Stoker system

Big Lake, Minnesota

• I got the STOKER.  Top notch--connected to home network and got it a free DNS account--it Tweets its progress during cooks and I can send control commands to it from my iphone.  

Without the wireless side working yet, I want to use an access point to work for now. I'm not sure what I need to do/ what settings (bridge, repeater ect)

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Big Lake, Minnesota

• I am in hog heaven since wife surpeised me with a Lg BGE for Christmas. Looking at adding a Stoker unit. Any one using the stoker with a MAC &/or iphone interface?  Also, no internet at the fish camp. Can the stoker be used "manually" with just the LED readout?

Thanks

Phatpaddy

Stoker can be controlled 100% on the display. Even without internet, you can use the wireless side to monitor, change pit temps ect from a remote location.

I made an Excel page that gets the data from my Stokers every 10 minutes. I can graph and see what happened all night if I want.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Thanks bigguy136.  Your feedback closed the deal for me.  Looks like there will be a stoker in my near future. I like the idea of creating an Excel file for monitoring the cook as well. Much appreciation.
    Thanks. I think I will continue to work on/ use the Excel file as I do like to see the raw data. The StokerLog looks good also. I guess I will find I like one program over the other in time.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• I got the STOKER.  Top notch--connected to home network and got it a free DNS account--it Tweets its progress during cooks and I can send control commands to it from my iphone.  
    Hi,

I got that setup: Mac, iPad, iPhone, Large BGE, Stoker and Airport express. Thanx to Stokemaster for the iOS devices you can control everything. On the Mac side you got StokerX.

Have fun !
    BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France