Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gift for husband

sarah4482
sarah4482 Posts: 4
edited December 2011 in Root

Hi All-

My husband has been dreaming of an egg for a few years.  I am getting him one for Christmas.  I know that he will want to play with it immediately, so plan to have some meat on standby for him.  What will he need to be able to use it right away? 

Thanks!

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Just some hardwood lump (and a way to light it up - there's a million different ways) and he should be ready to go.   There are a ton of accessories, but he'll be able to grill "right out of the box". 

Will it be set up by the store or will he be assembling it?
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• What size BGE do you buy and did you buy a plate setter for it??
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    As said, it can be used as is. Just about everyone gets a platesetter for "indirect" cooking and some way to raise the grill higher. BGE sells a grill extender, and the Ceramic Grill Store has several very handy adapters. For the truly thrifty. 4 fire brick splits and a spare 3rd party grill will do the job.

The next most important thing is to get an instant read thermometer. Thernopen makes a very good one. There are less expensive models that are a little slower and less accurate. At the very least, have a cheap pocket thermometer.

Then there are rib racks, pizza stones, cast iron cookware, computerized draft control systems, cast iron searing grills, welders gloves for really high temperature cooks, etc. etc.

This is one Christmas toy which will entertain for years, congratulations.

• I got him a large one - we are a pretty small family.  I haven't gotten a plate setter yet, but it sounds like I should.  Thanks all for your help - I hope he likes it!
  • Big thing to remember, your first few cooks need to be under 350 to let your gasket cure.... While my first cook was a steak, I did it at 350 and 8 mins a side for med-rare (135 degrees on the thermapen). 

Wanting to sear a steak at a million degrees was my biggest temptation 8) 

Plate setter is almost a must and if you do a lot of steak i love the cast iron.

• psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    All he will need is some lump and a couple of nice ribeyes! Maybe a plate setter as well.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Add ons are defined primarily by what you like to cook.  If you are a low and slow family that enjoys ribs, smoked chicken or turkey, pulled pork, etc. then a plate setter is pretty much mandatory in my opinion.  If you only use the egg for grilling cast grates would be nice.  A couple of good bargeque cookbooks would be a great idea.  A Maverick remote thermometer is an essential element for me as well.  A gift certificate from where you got the egg from if they have add ons there.  That way he can fill in the blanks on what he wants.  Great gift idea that he will enjoy for many, many years. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • One of the most important things he'll need is patience.  My husband isn't exactly a master-griller, and he's learning as he goes with his BGE.  Just like me in the kitchen - he's had some real successes and a few "stinkers" in the six months he's had his Egg.
  • do you have a sister?

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• +1 Harley butts. I to have had successes and defeats. Trying again tonight with some chicken. It is a cool concept. We shall over come!!
    Large, small, and a mini
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    edited December 2011
    One of the questions new Eggers commonly ask is "how do I regulate the temperature."  Give this a read for some guidelines.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1145445#Comment_1145445
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Assembly is required unless your dealer does your assembly.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Big thing to remember, your first few cooks need to be under 350 to let your gasket cure.... While my first cook was a steak, I did it at 350 and 8 mins a side for med-rare (135 degrees on the thermapen). 

Wanting to sear a steak at a million degrees was my biggest temptation 8) 

Plate setter is almost a must and if you do a lot of steak i love the cast iron.

I wish I had known that :/
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Thanks all for your advice!  I think he is really going to like it - and the best part that I don't think he has any idea what I am getting him (It has been killing me not to tell him).  I will def get a plate setter, a cook book (if there is one out there), and a couple of slabs of meat (so he can play with his toy on Christmas day).  @Steve Sails - sorry, I'm an only child...
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Keep us posted on the results.  Don't you dare tell him what you have up your sleeve!!!  Xmas morn will be a blast.  Enjoy.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  •  

Keep us posted on the results.  Don't you dare tell him what you have up your sleeve!!!  Xmas morn will be a blast.  Enjoy.
    Yes and get him on here and/or the original forum right away

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• From an accessory standpoint, my personal experience has been a preference toward the ceramicgrillstore.com "spider" with a 13" grill stone. I find this to be more vestile, easier to store, and easier to handle than the platesetter.
  • He loves it, and was really disappointed that home depot wasn't open today so he could start building a table for it. Luckily he got me a couple of Tiffany's boxes, so everyone was happy. Thank you all for your help and input- you really helped me pull off a great Christmas surprise!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited December 2011
    Big thing to remember, your first few cooks need to be under 350 to let your gasket cure....
    I respectfully disagree.  The stock gasket is a piece of crap and will eventually burn up no matter what you do, unless you avoid high temp sears and pizza's.  I learned that on my very first BGE (a large), and as I added my other two eggs (large and small) have stripped them right out of the box and installed a Rutland.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE