Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Talking remote BBQ thermometer - $39

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,432
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I keep an eye on the holiday deals that Amazon advertises, and two hours 45 minutes from now (2 pm MST) this goes on sale:
I don't have any experience with this device (I do have an Oregon Scientific video camera on my ski helmet, and it works well enough).  Make sure to read the reviews, some folks have problems with it but sometimes that's true of many devices that, for me, work fine.  
Good price, though!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I bought this model this spring and love it. Not sure I care about the talking part but the wireless range is good when going thru several walls of my house. Only thing that would make it better is if I could watch air temp on the same display.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• I would go with the Maverick 732. It's a little more $$ but it is woth it. It does monitor both the pit temp and the food temp with a High/Low alarm for the pit and a done alarm for the food. It also has a 300 foot range.
  • ... and the Maverick doesn't talk to you.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • I've had one of the Oregon Scientific thermos for a couple of years.  I like it.  It has lasted a long time,  very good range, syncs up quickly.  Batteries last a long time.  The talking can be kind of annoying,  but handy sometimes. If you get buys doing something the thing will start telling you it's almost done.

I used to use it in my Vertical, Bandera smoker for the pit temp,  with the Egg I use it for the meat.  I have another cheapie "wireless",  the first one I got about 5-6 years ago,  but it is not constant read,  just tell you when something reaches temp.

I figure when one of those go out I get a Maverick.  Having 2 probes would be ideal.
  • I've had one of the Oregon Scientific thermos, it works fine. if price is an issue, look for one on ebay ( found mine for about 30 bucks. i've since sold the unit and purchased a maverick since i wanted to monitor grate temps during low and slows. 

Greygoose