Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Candy Circa 1900

Options
thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited December 2011 in Holiday Recipes
Pictured here is my grandfather Lewis Hopping a.k.a. HOP to one and all circa about 1950 outside his restaurant in Yorktown, Indiana. He passed about 43 years ago at the age of 83. He had a colorful career during his lifetime, restauranter, bootlegger (hey, he had to make money during the depression!) and pre-depression he was a confectioner (candy-maker) in Muncie, Indiana. Maybe that's where I got my cooking gene from????

Recently I came across three pages of onion skin paper typed recipe lists I thought you might enjoy. They aren't really Christmas candy and the quantities are HUGE as you might imagine for a candy store. Some of these ingredients I can't even identify today on Google. Happy Holidays to all as we remember those we love and maybe there is a recipe on this list you can break down for the holidays...

Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    That is quite a treasure. Have you translated what some of the off the wall ingredients are?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
  • N.E. Egger
    N.E. Egger Posts: 39
    edited December 2011
    Options

Confectioners' Glue

Source: Hershey's web site

4 teaspoons all-natural egg whites (meringue

powder, such as Just Whites)

1/4 cup warm water

3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

Gently stir together egg white powder and water according to directions on

the egg white powder package or until completely dissolved. Beat in confectioners'

sugar until thick and smooth. Use immediately.

Might be it?
    Glenn
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I think glue refered to in the recipe is corn syrup or glucose.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I think we settled on some form of high dextrose corn syrup finally...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Corn Sugar (a.k.a. High Fructose Corn Syrup)
    The campaigns against obesity and for real foods have continually irked the corn growers of America, and those who turn corn into high fructose corn syrup, which is added to just about every processed food sold in U.S. stores, from applesauce to soda. First, the industry made sure it could define its product as "natural," even though many consider it highly processed, and now the Corn Refiners Association is asking the Food and Drug Administration to allow it to rename its product "corn sugar." We've seen this movie before, or its prequel: In the early 1900s, the product was called "glucose," but the uncontrollable association of the words "glucose," "glue," and candy led the industry to call it "corn syrup."
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    That is how I make my living, making candy.

Gerhard
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Did you enjoy reading the recipes?

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Sure I always read recipes and the ingredients are much the same sugar, glucose, butter, cream etc. so they are remarkably similar.  I don't think there are many candy makers using paraffin wax in their recipes today but it was common in the day.

Gerhard