Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold/mildew

momoftwins
momoftwins Posts: 2
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum

Has anyone experienced mold in their egg?  I was not able to use mine for a couple of weeks so I covered it and when I went to use it there was mold growing on the inside, on the grate and along the felt.  During the time it was covered it had rained and then we had day time temps in the upper 70's.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2011
    Crank the heat up and let it burn off.

I'm not big on covers.  I used to use a cover my old grill and would get occasional mold.  Have never covered my Egg in a year and a half and no mold problems.  Can't be sure covering is the problem, but it can't help restricting the airflow.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I had mold on a couple of occasions and never use a cover. A couple of
    days of rain together with with sitting unused for a week or so can do
    that. I take care of it by burning it off. An hour or two at 500
    degrees should do it.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I can't see where a cover would make any difference ... damp weather and lack of use are the culprits and like everyone is saying ... fire up and burn it off!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited November 2011
    Yes the egg will mold and a high temp burn is the cure.  
    The mold occurs because of the moisture that builds up in the egg when it warmed during the day by he sun and then cools down during the night. 
    Here is the prevention:  Take 4x8 inch AF and roll into a snake.  Do two or three of these.  If egg is not going to be used for a while completely clean of all ash.  I place the used lump in the ash pan and place that on the grate future use.  Bend the "snake foil" into a U and drape over the top.  Place rain cap on foil and secure...don't smash down the foil ...there should be an air gap between the rain cap and the egg.  Open the lower vent all the way.  You have now created an air flow for the egg.  If you do this mold will not be a problem.  
    We both travel with our jobs and until I figured this out I was always doing clean burns on the large to get rid of the mold. The large has not been used since last may (burn ban) and I fired up the large for thanksgiving and there was not a bit of mold.
    BTW the small and the mini or on a covered porch and they never have had a mold problem.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Thank you all for your help. 

Mom of Twins

• Hoppy & Hoppette
    Hoppy & Hoppette Posts: 38
    edited November 2011

I might be a tad late for this one, but the last time I went and opened up my EGG, it was covered with mold on the inside on the grill and the plate setter. I never cover the EGG, so I consider it is because of all the rain and warm temperatures we get down here in Georgia during the summer.

As other's stated, all I did was crank it up to 400-500 degrees, and all the mold disappeared in a couple of hours. Tossed on a couple of butts and smoked them for eighteen hours and they turned out delicious!

Guess this is why they call them self cleaning.

• I keep mine on our back porch (and have for 6 years- since I became an BGE junkie).  I have never used a cover.  After cooking I always shut the bottom vent and close the daisy wheel (My cap cracked several months ago haven't replaced it I just been using my daisy wheel).  I have never had any signs of mold.  I normally cook on it 2 times a week but might go 2 weeks w/o cooking on it times.

There's nuttin like a BGE meal!    

Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • and by the way- my egg sits where it does get some rain and sun on the end of our porch which is covered. 
    Reed- Springhill, Louisiana