Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight fire issue

gamera06
gamera06 Posts: 80
edited November 2011 in Pork
Hi guys,

I tried to cook a pork butt the last 2 Nights and the fire got down before I woke up in the morning...

First night I started the fire with both vent open and the egg reached 600°F before I could do something, so the whole ring was on fire before I put the butt. I closed the vents and stabilized the egg at 250°F with the butt inside. Anyhow it choked during the night.

Last night, same operation, but I started from fresh lumps, following naked whiz method, and build a small fire (300°F) put the butt in, and stabilized at 230°F for 3 hours before I went to bed... And this morning the egg was cold.

I removed everything and found out that all the fire grate holes were filled with ashes. Do you think it comes from my Lump ?

I hope I could achieve a long cook without temp regulators...
BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    gamera06
    I'll take a stab based on the limited info above. If the fire grate is stopped up as you indicate, the fire will certainly die. When I plan a long low/slow cook, I remove lower grate and clean all ash out. I fill the Egg with new lump till it is at least half way up the fire ring or higher. Light it in one or two spots and bring desired cooking temp for 30-45 mins with everything in place but the meat (call this stabilized). I load the meat and don't touch the settings for at least 2 hours (almost always returns to desired temp). Every 4 hours or so,  I open the bottom vent and use a wiggle rod to clean the holes in the grate. 
    This has worked 100's of times. Hope this helps.
    Kent Madison MS
  • I'm in France, so I don't have that much choice talking about charcoal lump... I'm using "Restaurant Grade" charcoal, with big chunks of lump. They fire great in terms of temperature, and produce not that much ashes, but at least some...

I started the fire last night with a brand new clean Egg and new lump following Naked Whiz page...

I'll try the cleaning rod method. Thanx.
  • Some have used a trick with carriage bolts, nuts and washers to slightly elevate the grate to allow more airflow. There is an aftermarket fire grate available that looks like a cooking grid. High Q I think.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Oh, nice idea... I got a mini as well, and it was delivered with a 9.5" grille, so I ordered a 10" grille to fit the Ceramicgrillstore Mini indirect kit... I can use the 9.5" grille as a fire grate !

• I just got a bunch of stuff from CGS. Guess what I forgot. Damn

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• You're local, so it's not that bad :)

If I forget something, they have to ship overseas !
  • Hah, More local than you mon Ami but still in another country :))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tabernacle !
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2011
    That would be tabernac en l'Habitant :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON