Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On the subject of ducks..

Options
Cymbaline65
Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
edited November 2011 in Poultry

Hi all -

I've been poking around the BGE forum as well as other sites in regards to preparing a duck on the Egg. Squeezy posted some really nice pics and he did it over medum-high heat (380-400 deg).

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1135137/spatchcock-duck#Item_12

I'm reading in other places (including BobS) that low and slow (220-250 deg) is the way to go. Obviously, I want to render the fat and crisp the skin so I'm thinking somewhere in between - 350 deg for 1hr 45m for a 6lb bird.

I'd like to hear from other Eggers on how they would approach it.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it can be done either way.  i go slow.  let the duck dry out in the fridge a couple days
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

Thanks, Strike. I know that baking soda can be lightly applied to the skin to render more moisture. I'm thinking I'll go 325 indirect.

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

The duck turned out quite well. 350-375 for about 2hrs. Skin crispy and fat fully rendered. Seems I can't post an image - only a URL to an image so you'll just have to take my word for it.

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    Found how to post pictures..it was higing from me :-)
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    What was your final internal temp. on that quacker?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

Well, that's not entirely easy to give you. I took them (I did two, actually) off at 145 degrees, put them in a cooler to transport them 1hr to my mother-in-law's house. Then had to put them on her grill to crisp up the skins as the steam softened up things a bit. So, they cooked a bit longer during transport, then cooled, then cooked a bit more before serving. I'd say 165-170 final. Things were still juicy.

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Thanks for the update ... glad it all came together for you!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    A
    @cymbaline: No baking soda, cornstarch is what you might have heard about
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    @stike - actually, I got the cornstarch idea from Cooks Illustrated. They recommend a bit of CS and refrigerator time to help leech out more moisture from the skin to help crisp it.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

@stike - I typed that totally wrong. CI recommends a bit of Baking Soda, not cornstarch...