Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a ham

Options
Grizzard
Grizzard Posts: 2
edited November 2011 in Root
New egg owner smoking a ham for Thanksgiving for first time.  I've read all the posts and have a couple of questions.  First, (I do not have a raised grid yet) is it best to place the ham directly on the grid with or without a drip pan and if drip pan is best, what is advice for water/juice or other liquid in the pan?  Second, what is the advantage/disadvantage of putting the ham in a roasting pan vs over a drip pan?  Thanks for any advice/tips.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I just did a ham earlier this year.  Put the place setter in with legs up, then a drip pan with water, then put the grid in and put the ham on it.  The drip pan with water is only so the drippings don't burn and give off a nasty smell/flavor.

I thought "ham" was just "ham" until I tried this recipe, incredible!!  Guests were raving about it!
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/city-ham-recipe/index.html

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Grizzard
    Options
    Thanks again!  The ham turned out great following your advice.  I went with the Alton Brown recipe.  One thing I noticed that I will probably do differently next time - I smoked the ham on the egg at 250 until it reached 130 (about 4 hours), peeled off the skin/fat, applied the 4 ingredient "crust" and put it back on the egg at 350 until it reached 140.  In Alton's recipe, this should take about 1 hour but only took about 35 min on the egg & the "crust" kind of just melted on the ham - not crunchy but gooey.  I thought maybe it would set up overnight, but it did not - stayed gooey.  Next time I think I will move the ham to a roasting pan & finish in the oven for that last hour to firm up the crust. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Glad it turned out OK for you.  I don't recall mine turning gooey?
    Been meaning to try this again though.  I'll let you know if I can keep the crust "crusty".
    Packerland, Wisconsin