Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold weather

Options
rst5
rst5 Posts: 12
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to stop the lid from freezing down between uses?

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I never had that problem - even during snowmagedon. maybe a wax paper ring?
  • Big Green Gator
    Options
    Move to Florida. Problem solved.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Do you live in a high humidity environment and at what temps does this usually happen?

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    how old/compressed/greasy is your gasket?

unless the gasket is wet, i'm thinking it might even be congealed fats sticking together.  fat doesn't need to truly freeze to get gummy, and the rim has such a large surface area, just that small amount of sticking across the whole gasket area would be enough to make it hard to open the lid. just a half a pound per square inch would equal 40+ pounds of 'stuck'-ness.

i used to get a stuck dome in winter (with freezing rain) until i went with a rutland gasket (coltronics is the 'ceramic fiber' equivalent).  i think the fact that it's only on one rim is the biggest factor keeping it from sticking

maybe time to get a new gasket, even if it's just felt
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I have not had my egg through a winter yet but my dealer told me if it happens I should open the bottom vent and try to light a newspaper page or two in there.  He said that usually will create enough heat to open the egg.  He also recommended that the rain cap be used.

Gerhard
  • tfoutch
    Options

Freezes after a rain then it gets cold.  Either use a cover to keep rain off, or place some foil or wax paper  between your lid and base in the winter.  If you forget, and it does freeze, don't try to force it open.  Open your lower vent, remove your top, then light some newspaper and drop down the top.  Should thaw soon enough. 

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • Nordic Egghead
    Options
    light one of the BGE firestarter squares, drop it in the top, open the air down below...seems to work...