Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guru PartyQ

Options
Wilcox Farmer
Wilcox Farmer Posts: 13
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
Has anyone tried the new PartyQ from the BBQ Guru?

Comments

• Spentrup
    Spentrup Posts: 9
    edited November 2011
    Options

Som danish guy showed it off and he says it works well on his p.... XL , he made pp but the power only lasted 15 hours.

I can give you a link so you can see for your selv but its all in danish :)

I thinking i am going for the digiQ dx2 my selv

• ribmaster
    Options
    I have a digiQ dx2. it is great but there are other with cool wifi features.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I had a chance to play with one before they came out and I really liked it.  I like not having to lug a power source or extension cord out to the cookers.  I also like not having a power cord and a blower cord lying around.  I'd imagine that the battery life depends on the size of the cooker since a big cooker is going to take more fire to keep it at a given temperature than on a small cooker.  The guru folks told me that on a large Egg, they expected the batteries to last around 40 hours.  And of course, it will also depend on the temp you are maintaining.  But the PartyQ worked great and I think is a great option for a pit-temp-only set up.
    The Naked Whiz
  • DougQ
    DougQ Posts: 30
    Options
    Just got one. Ribs go on shortly. Will report back.
  • EggDocAL
    Options
    I'm looking into one as well - anyone have any further experience with battery life on it?  Seems like 4AA would go quick with the fan.  Does it have an optional power cord if you don't want to use the battery?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    you might check with guru as the old guru competitor models can run off a car battery jump pack.  could go multiple cooks before a pack recharge was needed.  maybe not as handy as double AA built-in but still purdy handy for mobility.  t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I was told by the Guru folks that with a large Egg doing barbecue temps like 250 you would get 40-50 hours.  I didn't try that unfortunately.
    The Naked Whiz
  • medic119
    Options
    Just ordered one on Saturday.  I will report back when it arrives after my first cook.
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • Egts
    Egts Posts: 27
    Options
    I just about pulled the trigger on a PartyQ, but was concerned with battery life during the winter and the fact that it does not sense an open lid. Looks like a great unit but they should have gave it the ability to have replace the probe as well a the option to plug in an alternative power source, such as a sealed 12V battery, even if the price had to be increased a little. I decided on the DigiQ II.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I too initially thought that a non-replaceable probe might be a pain in that you would have to send the whole unit in for repair if the probe goes bad, but then it occurred to me that in the 8 or 9 years I've been using BBQ Guru products, I've only had one probe go bad, and that was the one I use for all my charcoal testing.  And that was one of the older less-hardy probes that had the teflon coated cables.

Of course, you can always pull out the lithium batteries for cold weather cooking, but obviously the point of the Party Q is to be simple and self-contained.  It is half the price of a DIgiQ package, so one shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have more bells and whistles.
    The Naked Whiz
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I ordered one about a week ago and got a call today from BBQ Guru notifying me that the fans for the unit are on back order until mid January.  I told them no problem and they are sending me a carry case at no charge for waiting.  That's great customer service to me!!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • medic119
    Options
    Same thing happened to me, BOWHUNR.  The guys at bbq guru have always had great customer service. 
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q