Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alternative Egg Setup from Mad Max

fifty2twenty
fifty2twenty Posts: 3
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
I have read Mad Max's turkey recipe and really want to try it.  MM calls for a roasting pan to be placed in the egg on an elevated PS.  I cannot for the life of me find a roasting pan that will hold a 20 lb bird and fit in my large egg.  So I'm giving up on the roasting pan.

Here's what I am guessing as an alternative:  PS with legs up.  Drip pan on PS elevated by the BGE green feet.  V-Rack in the drip pan and turkey on the V-Rack.  

Any thoughts out there if that's a good idea?  Going to do a dry run this weekend with breast only.

Thanks,

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited November 2011
    The aluminum pans at the grocery fit and if they don't just crunch them until they do.

I have done 2 MM turkeys. The first one I followed the directions exactly. The second one I put the drip pan on the plate setter and the turkey on the grate. Both turned out exactly the same.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • DougQ
    DougQ Posts: 30
    That's the way I've been cooking a lot of turkey breasts recently. Works fine - also, try adding turkey or chicken broth to the drop pan as well.
  • For your dry run with the breast, you can follow your plan and eliminate the v-rack.

The aluminum pan will work for the whole bird but if you are skipping the stuffing and gravy (I do), you can simply separate the breast from the rest and pull when the individual pieces are done.  165 on the breast and 185-190 on the thighs are my preference.

Good luck with it.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat