Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table finish for new Egg

Options
galen
galen Posts: 57
edited November 2011 in EGG Table Forum

Just taking a break from the assembly of my Egg.  What, if any finish is recommended for the table.?

I live on the ocean and it may be a factor in considering the finish.

Mahalo and Aloha

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Is it a BGE brand table?  Then I would check with BGE.  If not then I would put an exterior finish on such as marine grade polyurethane.  I use WaterLox marine finish and original oil (two step finish).  It works well but the UV light will break down most finishes regardless of what you use.  Best thing to do is cover it when it is not in use.  Congrats on the egg, you will love it!
  • galen
    Options

Yes, it is a BGE table and marine coating tomorrow.  Thanks for the info.  it is much appreciaed.

Have not yet used the Egg as it was damaged and was discovered in the unpacking.  We were surprised as it seemed to be packed so well.  Dealer jumped right in and supplied the broken part.  It's "...in the mail."

Aloha

• Cello Guy
    Options
    Here is what I used with geat results!! 

Epifanes Gloss Clear Varnish   from Jamestown dist.image

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Any decent marine grade spar varnish would work great.

Steve
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • galen
    Options

Helman's  Spar varnish.  A clear u.v. resistant looked great after one coat and fantastic after two.

Still going to get a cover for the Egg and Table.  The heat controler that fits over the chmney rusted after being out for less than 24 hours.  Will apply "Must for Rust" which under normal circumstances should handle the rust for 6 months.  Not sure how the heat will effect  the performance.  We will see.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    When you finish cooking just put the cast iron top that covers the chimney inside the egg and use the ceramic top to put the egg out. That will stop it from rusting.