Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's been smoking for 16 hours and....

Destroyr350
Destroyr350 Posts: 10
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
I started 2 bone in pork butts yesterday at 4 pm and just went to check on them just now and the internal temp is only at 160. My XL maintained a temp of 220-235 for 16 hours no problem and I only opened it 3 times the entire time. I just wrapped them in foil and brought the temp to 250. Some fat hasnt rendered yet. Any one have any issues like this?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

Couple of things-generally the dome temp is around 20-40*F hotter than the grid temp (and the difference drops the longer the dome is shut) so you didn't have much of a delta T which would extend the cook times.  Also it's been my experience that pork butts can take up to 2.2 hrs/# so depending on weight you are in the ball park. 

Here's a great resource  www.greeneggers.com. Once on the main forum page check out the box on the left for "quick reference parts 1 and 2.  Wealth of links and info.

Good luck-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks. I have 2 meters and I'm actually monitoring grid temp. Both butts combined were 16#. So about 8 each. I planned on 18 hours but was hoping it was farther almond by now. Looks good
  • Yeah, 220-235 dome is too low in my opinion.  I wouldn't go much less then 250 dome, if not higher.  At 220 dome you're only at 200 grid.  If your trying to get your butt to around 200, it's going to take forever.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Yeah, 220-235 dome is too low in my opinion.  I wouldn't go much less then 250 dome, if not higher.  At 220 dome you're only at 200 grid.  If your trying to get your butt to around 200, it's going to take forever.

Luckily I have all day. Just repositioned my thermometer and brought grid temp to 250 and dome is at 275ish hopefully done by noon for lunch!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    The plateau (somewhere around 160+/-*F) where you are can take quite some time to get through.  If running short on time you can jack up the temp (probably 275*F w/o any issues) or foil to get through it faster.  Allow time after cooking of at least an hour for them to be wrapped in foil and a couple of towels and stored in a cooler before pulling. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ...can even go to 300-350 without any issues, truth be told
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I agree.  If you are using a plate setter you should keep your dome at 250-275.  I know there is a lot of emphasis placed on "low and slow" and upper 260's dome will do the trick.  Pork shoulder is as forgiving of a meat as you will ever cook and it is not an exact science.  Once your internal temp hits the 160-165 range it will stall for a while as the fat is melting.  I personally do not wrap the butts as some do.  I feel this is only necessary if you have cooked too low.  I leave mine on the egg and remove when the internal hits 190-192 then I wrap in foil and wrap in a towel or 2.  I then place in a dry cooler and let it sit another hour.  Mine is so tender you have to be careful when removing from the egg surface that the bone does not come out.  
  • I have seen competition cookers using the extra large eggs that start at 275 and finish at 325 to 350 and they have great butt.  They do frequently baste the meat with various juices at this temp.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    why 250-275 if with a platesetter?  i'm assuming he's indirect anyway.  300 even 350 won't hurt the butt.  and it certainly won't hurt a platesetter, if that's the concern
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Yes I'm cooking indirect with a plate setter. Just passed 20 hours and its at 182 finally. Almost there. I cranked the heat to 300 about 2 hours ago and wrapped them in foil. I did find that the temperature at the center of the grate is only a few degrees lower than the dome. Think my issue was I had my probe set closer to the edge of the plate setter..