Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Imitating Ruth Chris Steak House?

Options
Skkyhawke2
Skkyhawke2 Posts: 8
edited November 2011 in Beef
Anyone have any suggestions on how to coming close to
imitating cooking a steak similarly to Ruth Chris Steak house?
From my understanding they have a 'special' oven in which the cook the steak at 1500F.
Put the plate/platter in another oven at 800.
Steak cooks quickly and gets put on sizzling platter
prior to taking it to table.

Personally, can't see cooking/searing a steak decently without investing in something akin to the spider thereby getting that steak closer to the coals.
I have a large BGE and it always seems to me that grate is a country mile away from the fire. 

Anyone is welcome to put their two-cents worth in as to how they've achieved cooking that proverbial "perfect" steak. Many thanks.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Their 'special' element hits 1500? That's about 500 less than yours.

You dont cook a steak with the dome temp. It's the charcoal's radiant heat that does it. And going full blast, charcoal can top 2000 degrees

You want a warm steak to begin with. Not 'room temp'. That doesn't really happen unless you leave a steak out for a few hours. Even then, it's still only forty degrees warmer than cold from the fridge

Instead, put the steak in a ziploc bag, remove the air, and submerge the steak in a bowl of hot tapwater. Change out the water if/when it cools.

In about 15-20 minutes your steak will be around 100 or so, and it will need nothing more than a sear. That sear will finish it, and the steak will have a nice even cross section of done-ness rather than a grey ring surrounding pink

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Forgot to say that one way to get closer to the lump is to lower the grate, sure. But the other is to raise the lump

Fill it up, fresh lump
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    Dry age a primal or buy dry aged steaks, hot tub, load lump to top of firebox, remove fire ring, preheat plates to 500, melt butter, little kosher salt (nothing else), sear, plate, add butter, eat.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat