Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE XL - Drip Pan Suggestions for Large Cooks - Opinions/Ideas Appreciated!

Options
Iceman5705
Iceman5705 Posts: 83
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum

All,

I have been smoking large amounts of pulled pork for parties and was wondering what you all do to catch drippings so they don't burn on the place setter.  I find that burning fat leaves an acrid taste to the meat.  I use those shallow foil pans you get at the grocery.  I fit them (small and large) like a puzzle.  I filll them all with apple juice.  It would be nice if someone made a custom XL drip pan that would fit with a 1-1/2 inch space around the edges to let heat up but would allow drippings to fall into the apple juice.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Iceman

Comments

• MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    I cover or wrap my plate setter in foil and just toss the foil after the cook. I might put a pan with apple juice / beer / water depending of the cook. I also put the dripping on top of the foil. to catch the dripping. The foil will protect the plate setter even outside or arround the drip pan.
    Marc
  • wolfsburg18
    Options
    I found that after a few cooks having the plate setter well seasoned, that acidic flavor was no longer present.
  • jmbduke20
    Options
    Iceman, I use a round cake pan I bought from Amazon as my drip catcher/wider heat deflector on my large. I find that it works fantastic and is very well made and easy to clean. Here is the link for the pan I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E1Z1SK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have put this thing threw moderate heat 400+ degrees and long (24 hours) slow cooks and it has performed great. No warping, rusting, anything. I simply spray it out with my hose in the backyard and it's ready for the next use. The great thing about these pans is that they are 2inches deep - meaning they hold a lot of liquid and drippings.

I believe they make bigger sizes (maybe a 20 or 22inch). Here is an 18in http://www.amazon.com/Parrish-Magic-Line-Round-Aluminum/dp/B001E1TDB6/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1319658166&sr=8-28
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i use a carbon steel paella in the large, they come in alot of sizes, very convenient pan to have. works good as a drip, roast, deep dish, could even possibly make a paella in it. wrap the inside with foil or you have another mess to clean when using it as a drip. with use it seasons black like a wok
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    ceramic grill store sells a 1" deep pan to the xl.  i support it off the platesetter with a couple bits of an old platesetter that broke.  i wrap the ps and the pan.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    That paella pan idea is awesome. Need to try that next time.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I use that pan that comes with every stove you buy.  You know the one, it's down in the bottom "drawer".  I cover it with heavy-duty foil and put it on the plate setter feet up and fill it with water.  Fits very nice on the XL plate setter.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Principalchef
    Options
    Finally - a use for that perfectly described bottom drawer pan. Does anyone with a BGE ever use an oven broiler? Thanks Chokeonsmoke. Great call.
    Love cooking on my XL BGE for 2, 12, or 100!
    www.principalchef.com

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I use that pan that comes with every stove you buy.  You know the one, it's down in the bottom "drawer".  I cover it with heavy-duty foil and put it on the plate setter feet up and fill it with water.  Fits very nice on the XL plate setter.
    Broil Pan...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Will a drip pan full of water, apple juice, etc, effect the bark on pork butts?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Will a drip pan full of water, apple juice, etc, effect the bark on pork butts?
    This is why I do not use water, they are using water so it does not burn. Rather than water, I just use foil and create an air gap between the bottom of the pan and the foil so there is no contact. This prevents burning.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."