Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new custom handle arrived today!

Squeezy
Squeezy Posts: 1,102
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum

New handle has arrived and is mounted ...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.

Comments

• Squeezy
    You'll just have to order your own dear friend!  ♥ ♥ ♥
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Very nice squeezy. Congrats.
  • Awesome!  Where'd you get it?
    Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon
  • Squeezy
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Good looking handle. Will you have to protect it from the weather for it to stay pretty or will it weather age?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Squeezy
    edited October 2011

It came with 3 coats of hand rubbed urethane with sandings between each coat. He recommends covering the BBQ when not in use.

When the finish needs renewal, he says to lightly sand with 320 grit sandpaper, wipe the surface off with ever so lightly dampened paper towel. When handle is dry, apply a waterproof Urethane with a clean rag and repeat after 24 hours.

• newegg
    newegg Posts: 78
    I got one just like it for the Mini and had Cracker Jack, our deceased Chihuahua name on it. Awesome.
  • Nice!  What type of wood?
  • I bought my walnut handle from that guy 2 months ago and liked it until this past weekend.  I always cover my Egg after each cook and took my cover off to cook a steak and the handle was cracked in 2 spots.  I guess I would call them "clean" cracks that are pretty wide making it unusuable.  I live in a mild climate area, always cover my Egg, and haven't tightened it except for when I put it on originally.  I will not be buying from him again or recommending it to anyone.  For it to do that after 2 months is because of cheap wood or poor craftmanship.  Sad thing is it looked nice.  Oh well.
  • Squeezy
    Indian rosewood.
    I bought my walnut handle from that guy 2 months ago and liked it until this past weekend.  I always cover my Egg after each cook and took my cover off to cook a steak and the handle was cracked in 2 spots.  I guess I would call them "clean" cracks that are pretty wide making it unusuable.  I live in a mild climate area, always cover my Egg, and haven't tightened it except for when I put it on originally.  I will not be buying from him again or recommending it to anyone.  For it to do that after 2 months is because of cheap wood or poor craftmanship.  Sad thing is it looked nice.  Oh well.

Perhaps if you let him know, he will make some kind of restitution ...

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

Nice handle Squeezy!  Here's the East Indian Rosewood handle I just bought for my brother-in-law's Egg:

I have 8 of them myself and have been really happy with mine!

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Pethaps if you ever had one of my handles you could discuss it. Why do you do this and what is your point? If you ever have a problem with any thing i sell just call me. 925 9893712

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Very nice!
    context is important :)
  • LDD
    It's too early for popcorn
  • Squeezy
    Pethaps if you ever had one of my handles you could discuss it. Why do you do this and what is your point? If you ever have a problem with any thing i sell just call me. 925 9893712
    There you go Salty Hog ... give him a call ...  :-c

• Lit
    Pethaps if you ever had one of my handles you could discuss it. Why do you do this and what is your point? If you ever have a problem with any thing i sell just call me. 925 9893712
    I am guessing he is upset that his 2 month old handle cracked in 2 places. His point is to warn people that he got a brand new handle that cracked in 2 places. I would want to know if I was thinking of ordering one and someone has had issues with it. When my egg base cracked I posted it on the forum to let people know that sometimes the bases will crack. It was replaced with great customer service and it seems that is the direction you are heading so if anything it will let people know you stand behind your product.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2011
    Wait a minute.  "The Handle Guy" is saying that "Salty Hogs" never owned one of his handles!?

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Squeezy
    That's what I got from his post ... time to hear from Salty Hogs now!
  • Squeezy
    I am guessing he is upset that his 2 month old handle cracked in 2 places. His point is to warn people that he got a brand new handle that cracked in 2 places. I would want to know if I was thinking of ordering one and someone has had issues with it. When my egg base cracked I posted it on the forum to let people know that sometimes the bases will crack. It was replaced with great customer service and it seems that is the direction you are heading so if anything it will let people know you stand behind your product.

One should give the business a chance to rectify the situation before complaining to the world ... if you are not given fair treatment, then yes tell everyone!

Same as the old addage, a happy customer will share with a few people, but an unhappy customer will tell everybody!

• Lit
    It's great if he rectifies the situation but as a customer I would still like to hear people's issues. Just because BGE sends people new gaskets because their crappy factory ones are garbage doesn't mean people shouldn't complain that they got crap in the first place right?
  • What I am saying is that I seriously doubt he bought a handle from me.  It's not like I'm shipping thousands of these things.  On nearly order, I have communication with the buyer several times before I ship a handle so I feel like I kinda know these people.   Also,  I have a detailed record of every handle shipped (my wife is a CPA, what can I say?).

I don't know who this person is but I wish they would step forward and back up the claim with a call to me.... or something.

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• LDD
    let's see some pics Salty...

THG... for the sake of argument... if this guy did order a handle from you... your approach is well... less than inviting :)
  • Those handles are very cool!  Definitely made by craftsmen...works of art.  IF Salty really got one from someone, I'm nearly 100% sure the craftsman would make it good.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    edited October 2011
    Is it a coincidence? Someone was impersonating the Handle Guy on the Plano Outlaw Eggfest website recently and saying horrible things. I traced his/her IPO to the Augusta Ga.area. Marty, the Handle Guy is from California. Salty Hog lists his home as Augusta on the BBQ Brethern site. Again I ask, coincidence? You be the judge.
  • LDD
    a 2nd The Handle Guy? the plot thickens :)
  • He doesnt show up yo the local egg cooking lessons every week in Augusta
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Is it a coincidence? Someone was impersonating the Handle Guy on the Plano Outlaw Eggfest website recently and saying horrible things. I traced his/her IPO to the Augusta Ga.area. Marty, the Handle Guy is from California. Salty Hog lists his home as Augusta on the BBQ Brethern site. Again I ask, coincidence? You be the judge.
    Thanks, HH.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Squeezy

It's great to know that we have good people here willing to investigate ... I hope this lays to rest this little controversy.

I know that I'm happy with my dealings with Marty and that his good name has been restored ...

• Squeezy
    That Salty Hog dude is an idiot.  He should be beaten with a bag of oranges.
    Sometimes you have a brilliant idea ... this is one of those times!
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Sure is a lot of drama here....