Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Determine his punishment - brother used kingsford charcoal

Options
wolfsburg18
wolfsburg18 Posts: 78
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
I just got home from a business trip and went to fire up my grill last night.  I found not only was there a new bag of kingsford charcoal but that there was several baguettes still in the firebox.   My younger brother who moved in with me a few months back due to hardship had fired it up while I was away.  I am somewhat surprised since the boy can't cook anything that he can't purchase already made or microwave.  With my fiancee a chef and myself not lost in the kitchen we have been teaching him to cook.

His reasoning behind using kingsford in my grill is he felt my typical charcoal choice was too expensive.   I did't buy this and told him he had to clean out the grill.   

Any thoughts on what else I should add to his punishment?

Comments

• Rock Chalk Smoker
    Options
    Well you want to teach him to cook right? You should do an over night smoke and make him stay up to watch the temp. Don't tell him how well the BGE does at keeping temps. That way he learns how to do a long smoke and gets a little punishment on top. 
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    If he didn't use Matchlite, then no punishment is needed.  Perhaps a little gentle guidance will suffice.
    The Naked Whiz
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I'd encourage, not punish.   I would assist him in cooking something simple with the Kingsford and then a few days later do the same cook with your good stuff.  Let him see/taste the results and form his own opinion.   The kid is trying and anything beats nuked food.  My 2 cents........
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • wolfsburg18
    Options
    Well you want to teach him to cook right? You should do an over night smoke and make him stay up to watch the temp. Don't tell him how well the BGE does at keeping temps. That way he learns how to do a long smoke and gets a little punishment on top. 
    I really like this idea, a full brisket smoke and some ribs to follow would be good eating and make for a great party.
    If he didn't use Matchlite, then no punishment is needed.  Perhaps a little gentle guidance will suffice.
    I have worked with him on cooking at least 2-4 days a week for almost 2 months, at some point, tough love is called for, aka today I woke him up at 4:30 when I get up for work normally, granted I am sure he went back to bed but still had him up and taking out the trash, empty the dish washer, etc.
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    I'm with Naked Whiz on the matchlite, ugh.  Hey, he is your kid brother, show him what lump looks like and let him taste a real grilled/smoked dinner. 
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Tell him he ruined it, and he's going to have to buy you a new Egg.  Put the "ruined" one in storage, with the idea that you can maybe use it for parts, should something break on the new Egg.  When he moves out, bring the old Egg out of hiding!  ;o)
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

You could have found an empty lighter fluid can next to the Egg...you'd be paying for that mistake for awhile.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    .... and then there is Myron Mixon, one of the winningest competitors on the BBQ circuit, uses that foul smelling lighter fluid all the time ... how in hell does he do it?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options
    I was watching some contest cooking show where a women used a "Borrowed" green egg to keep from hauling hers from Canada to Texas. The first thing a judge said was "i can taste the lighter fluid". I have seen Mixon do that. He uses it in a chimmney style fire outside the cooker, It think this allows it to burn off before getting near the meat.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.