Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wax Starters

Options
burr_baby33
burr_baby33 Posts: 503
edited October 2011 in Off Topic
What are the pros and cons of wax starters.  I've had my 2 large BGEs since July and have been using wax.  I have a mapp torch in the workshop but have not used it on the egg.  What am I missing?

Comments

• DominicMagestic
    Options
    i have only used starters a few times and didn't like the initial smoke - of course it burns off but, i prefer an oiled paper towel or weed burner.  if you are happy with them, i would use them - lots of folks do.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • gamera06
    gamera06 Posts: 80
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I use wax starters... I had a pack of BGE starters and in fact, half of a square is enough to light up a Large Egg, so it burns faster and doesn't smell at all... The more debris you have, the faster it goes. The one I got now are small wax crap agglomerates about 1/2 inch cubes.
    BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Try your mapp torch, you'll love it!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited November 2011
    Options
    if they snuff out (say from shutting the lid prematurely), they will smolder for a long time.  check the smell of the smoke when you use them.  they take a while to clear.

they're fine.  but i'm cheap, and paper-napkin with a LITTLE drizzle of oil does it for me.  more flame, too.

i also have a weedburner. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bghiii
    bghiii Posts: 25
    Options
    What's a weedburner?