Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to cook an 8 lb. pork butt with bone. How long and at what temerature over indirect heat? ...

Options
grillman16
grillman16 Posts: 42
edited August 2011 in Forum List
Thanks.  It is an 8 lb boston pork butt with bone.  How long should I cook it on the BGE over indirect heat and at what temperature?  Thanks so mcunh.  Will I need to add lumps?

Comments

• grillman16
    Options
    Please help..I need advice.  Over indirect heat should I keep the BGE at 225 for approx. 2 hours for each pound in wt of the brisket? 
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    I'd suggest you fill with lump 1/2 way up the fire ring, light the lump, stabilize the Egg at 250 for 30-45 mins with the plate setter in, add the butt, and use a remote thermometer to cook by. When the internal temp reaches 200 pull it and wrap in HDAF for at least an hour. 
    Kent Madison MS
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    read this link - great info

thanks to whiz and elder
    Kent Madison MS
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    Oh
    BTW - if the forum police don't like me posting links that help other Eggers cook better - I'll be happy to play somewhere else...
    Kent Madison MS
  • grillman16
    Options
    For HOW LONG should I cook it at 250 degrees on indirect heat?
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Most of us don't cook to time, we cook to temp. It could take as little as 10hrs or as many as 16. Cook to an internal temp of 195 in the thickest part of the roast.
  • BBQMaven
    Options
    There is no way to tell you how long to cook the butt and it come out right. The link I posted will explain why. I've put two butts on that were almost exactly the same weight and one finished an hour before the other. This takes trust on your part. Trust the Egg and trust the probe temp. 
    BTW - it is the most forgiving of all cooks you will do!
    Kent Madison MS
  • ourpeter
    Options
    Remember you don't know how the pig lived his or her life...sitting around being a lazy pig or a runner...the package you buy doesn't tell you how your pig lived...unless you raised and butchered you pig yourself.  Always go by internal temp on low and slow.  I have cooked both at 225 and at 250 to an internal temp of 195...and to be honest both were good.  Total times vary from butt to butt. 
  • meat03man
    Options
    I cook to 195 dead center can go anywhere from 10-16 hours depending. I have had an 8 pounder go a little over 16 hours but have also had a 8 pounder that was done in closer to 12 at about the same temp not sure what the difference was but different meats can have different cook times.