Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye Steak with Oyster Mushrooms

NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I broke down a whole ribeye today and kept a 2" thick one out as a reward for us.  The rest were vacuum sealed and put away in the freezer.

I rubbed it and reverse seared it.  The slow roast was at 250f dome.

It took right at 50 minutes to hit an internal temp of 125f.  I pulled it off to rest.

I took out the plate setter, put in the spider rig and cast iron and fired it up to 550f.  I seared it for 1 minute per side.

imageimageimageimage

Then I preheated a cast iron pan on the Egg.  I sauteed chopped onion for a few minutes and added some fresh oyster mushrooms that we bought this morning.

Next I added some all purpose rub, fresh thyme, garlic and butter and took it off heat, letting the carry over heat finish cooking it.

I sliced the steak....

And then topped it with the mushroom mixture...

It was the first time I have ever used fresh oyster mushrooms (these were straight from the farm) and I couldn't get over the difference in taste and texture. 
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    WOW! That looks great! I love oyster mushroom, especially when they're fresh like that. Those are some beatiful photos as well. What type of camera set up are you using?
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I love them too, now that I have found a local source for fresh ones =)) .  At the farmers market this morning a mushroom farm had their chef make a similar saute on the grill.  I was hooked.  They even sell "grow your own" kits.  I'm going to get one for oyster and shitake. 

I'm shooting a plain old Nikon D60 but use a 50mm prime lens and all manual settings. 

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    I have a d90 with an 18-55m lens. I need ton pick up a prime lens like your sometime for portraits and the like. The lens is nice, but it's the operator that makes the shot.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    edited August 2011
    I feel like I've seen this before ;)

looks as great as the 1st time

I really like the D90 I have a D70s. and I love it. recently picked up an sb900...aka monster flash :)
    I might be looking to "upgrade" soon.

the 50mm is my favourite lens.
    context is important :)
  • That looks eggcellent!!!