Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ono Ono Chicken Thighs

Options
Da Kine Green BBQ (Wayne)
edited November -1 in Poultry

Ingredients

The Marinade, enough for 2 lbs of chicken parts

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

1/2 cup shoyu (soy sauce), I use Kikkoman low sodium version

1/2 cup sugar

1 Tbs sherry (I use Japanese sake)

1 Tbs sesame oil

1 Tbs grated ginger root

3 cloves chopped garlic

Instructions

Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk around until the sugar dissolves. Taste the marinade and adjust to your liking. I always add more garlic and ginger. (I add ginger until it makes my mouth tingle.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Marinate the chicken parts overnight in a zip lock bag, or what-ever method you like.

Because of the oil and sugar in the marinade, it is best to use indirect grilling. Get the fire going, and when the temperature stabilizes at about 350 to 400, lay the chicken down, skin side up. No need to baste, just let the BGE do its thing!

Cook until done, internal temperature about 170 degrees.

I have not used any smoking wood chips when making this recipe, there’s tons of flavor from the marinade, and the gentle oak smoke from the Royal Oak lump does not over-power the flavors.

Mahalo, aloha.

Notes

Original source: Still Many More of Our Favorite Recipes, Island of Maui, published by Maui Extension Homemakers’ Council, Second Edition, 1974. Note, this is out of print, but used copies are available from Amazon.com and others in the $8 to $12 range. The original cover price was $5.99 from the Longs drug store.

Number of Servings: 4 to 6

Time to Prepare: