Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

<span style="font-weight:bold;color:#FF0000;">Eggtoberfest 2010 - Country Sausage</span>

Options
SC 'Burgh Girl
SC 'Burgh Girl Posts: 1
edited November -1 in Pork

Ingredients

• 8 lbs pork butt
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon dried summer savory
  • 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
  • 1 tablespoon fine ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
  • 1 cup ice water

Instructions

Bone the pork butt and cut it into 1" cubes to fit through a meat grinder; you should end up with 7 pounds of pork butt (give or take a few ounces).

With a mortar and pestle, grind the spices and herbs together for a few minutes; add to the ice water and let sit in the refrigerator while you grind the pork butt.

Grind the butt using the medium plate of a meat grinder.

Add the ice water with the herbs and spices to the ground pork. Mix thoroughly with your hands, ensuring the seasoning is well distributed.

Form into patties.

Grill over direct heat until done. At 400º it took under 8 minutes to cook a sausage patty (average size 1.68 oz).

Notes

My butcher will bone and cut the pork butt for me if I give him a little notice.

I use Penzey's brand spices and herbs.

The colder the pork sausage is, the easier it is to work with... I refrigerate the pork after mixing in the seasoning. When I make the sausage patties, I take about 1/3 of the mixture out of the bowl to work with at a time, returning the rest to the refrigerator. I refrigerate again after making the patties.

For Eggtoberfest 2010, I weighed out each sausage patty to between 1.60 and 1.75 ounces. I ended up with 70 sausage patties.

As we were also baking biscuits on the plate setter, the Egg was at 400º degrees, so the sausage was done rather quickly on the grid.

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare: