Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Meatballs and Tomato Sauce - 2010 Waldorf Eggfest

Options
   --
edited November -1 in Beef

Ingredients

Meatballs

2 slices hearty white bread, crusts removed and bread cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 cloves garlic minced (**)
1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb meatloaf mix
2 oz prosciutto, chopped fine
1 oz Pecorino Romano cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)

(**) I like to sprinkle the salt over the chopped garlic and crush it with the side of my knife, into a fine paste.

For the sauce:

2 T unsalted butter
1/2 C grated onion
1/4 t dried oregano
Salt
2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
1/4 t sugar
Pepper

Instructions

For the meatballs:

Combine bread cubes, buttermilk, parsley, garlic, egg yolk, salt and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl and mask with a fork until no bread chunks remain. Add meatloaf mix, prosciutto and cheese to the bread and mix with your hands until thoroughly combined. Divide mixture into 12 balls.

Cook direct, on a raised grate, at 350-400, with your favorite wood (I used pecan and apple) until 160 internal.

For the sauce:

Heat butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add onion, oregano, and 1/2 tsp salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and onion is golden brown. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.

Stir in tomatoes and sugar; increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened slightly. Off heat, stir in basil and oil and S&P to taste.

Notes

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare: