Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough

Options
OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in Baking

Ingredients

2 envelopes yeast (just the regular stuff)
1 cup lukewarm water
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 5lb bag all-purpose flour
1/4 cup melted shortening
5-6 cups lukewarm water.

Instructions

Mix yeast and sugar with 1 cup lukewarm water, and let it rest (starting the yeast)

I use a big (and I mean BIG) bowl for this:

Put most of the flour in the bowl - I'd say around 3/4 of the bag.

Add the salt and mix it in.

Add the prepared yeast from the cup, melted shortening and about 4 cups of water.

Mix and knead, adding water / flour as necessary until dough is smooth and elastic. You probably won't use all the flour or water. You'll know its close when it doesn't stick to your fingers so much.

Form it into a big ball (a glob really LOL), and drizzle some olive oil on it to cover the exposed part.

Cover the bowl with a towel (not touching the dough) and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.

The dough should about double in size.

Whack the puppy down , and press out as many bubbles as you can. You should be pretty much back to the original size.

Hit it with the olive oil again (as above), cover again and let rise 2nd time for 1 1/2 hours.

Now you can dump it onto a floured surface. Give it a quick knead to get the bubbles out again and cut it into portions for your zaza.

Notes

Number of Servings: 6-8

Time to Prepare: about 4 hours