Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lemon Chicken with Greek-Inspired Rub

The Grue
The Grue Posts: 1
edited November -1 in Poultry

Ingredients

• 3 Tbs Kosher Salt
• 3 Tbs Black Pepper
• 1 Tbs Oregano
• 1 Tbs Thyme
• 1 Lemon (Sliced)
• 1 Chicken

Instructions

To start, mix up the rub. This isn't an exact science. Depending on how salty you like it, mix equal parts kosher salt and black pepper. Add dried oregano and thyme to taste. We usually mix up enough to fit in a small tupperware container to use multiple times (this rub is good on lamb too).

Prepare the chicken. We've done this both spatchcocked and whole. The spatchcocked bird will cook faster, so we usually go that route. Once ready, cut the lemon into thin, round slices. Place the slices under the skin all around the chicken. Take the rub and liberally apply, also under the skin if you can get it in there.

Put on the egg at 350 degrees until it reaches an internal temperature you are comfortable with for chicken. I usually shoot for taking it off at 160ish internal temp, and let it rest for about 10 minutes before carving.

I normally cook this indirect over an inverted plate setter with a drip pan in it. I've tried it direct, and the bottom tends to burn. I have tried it with apple wood chips added to the fire, with hickory (was cooking at the same time as a beef roast), and without smoke. Our favorite is the apple wood smoke, but all were very tasty.

Enjoy, and let us know how you liked it.

-John

Notes

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare: