Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggtoberfest Canadian Smoked Salmon

Options
BGE Pit Crew
BGE Pit Crew Posts: 1
edited November -1 in Seafood

Ingredients

• Kosher salt
• Brown sugar

Instructions

Fresh salmon filet with skin on. Place in non-reactive tray side-by-side. Cover entire filet with kosher salt until no pink flesh is visible, then follow with brown sugar (until no kosher salt is visible). Don't be afraid to go heavy with both ingredients. Cover and place in fridge for at least 24hrs, no more than 72hrs. The brine will become like syrup overnight. I like to turn the filet over the next day (stirring the brine mixture by hand). Leave in fridge until ready to smoke.

Remove marinated/brined salmon from fridge and get egg ready. I like to egg indirect with a plate-setter. Load egg full for 3-4 hour smoke. I will soak maple or cherry chips (two large handfulls) to enhance the flavor. Get the egg to appx. 220-250 degrees (stable), then throw chips on, put plate-setter with drip-pan on, close egg and get salmon ready. Take each filet and lightly drain marinade/brine, then place in egg (skin side down). Keep egg at appx. 220-250 for 3-4 hrs. Don't peek! Ready when flesh will slightly split, juice will rise to top, and slightly firm to touch. You really can't over-cook! Try a couple of times, you'll get the hang of it. Hope you enjoy.

Notes

Serve warm or cold. Break or cut into bite-size pieces. Serve with crackers and cheese.

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare: