Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pita Bread(Breads)

Options
Ashley Fletcher
Ashley Fletcher Posts: 1
edited November -1 in Baking

Ingredients

• 1 Package Regular Active Dry Yeast
• 1 1/3 Cup Warm Water (110* F)
• 1 tsp Sugar, Honey, Cane Syrup, or Brown Sugar
• 1 &#189 tsp Salt
• 3 - 3 &#189 Cup High Gluten Bread Flour

Instructions

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in sugar, salt and about two cups of the flour and mix until smooth. Gradually stir in remaining flour to make dough workable.
Knead the dough onto lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about eight to ten minutes. Place dough in a very lightly oiled bowl and cover, let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to one hour.
Punch the dough down and divide into 6 balls. I generally place them in a baking pan, side by side and cover with plastic wrap. They will need to go about 30 minutes, then roll the dough balls into circles. You are shooting for a circle that is about six to seven inches, but they need to be no less than 1/8th inch. Place the individual circles on pieces of foil and allow to rise for about 20-30 minutes. During the last rise, cover the individual rounds with a damp paper towel.

I setup my large BGE with firebricks covering the grill and placed a pizza stone on top of the bricks. The fire box would be full, as if you are making steaks. We will be cooking at 500 degrees, so you don't want to have to add more fuel into the cooking.
Before the last rise, I would fire off the Egg and allow to come up to temperature with the fire brick and pizza stone. Once the temperature is at 500 degrees, you can place the dough round on the stone. It will take about six to ten minutes to bake the bread. We are looking for the top to be light to golden brown and fully inflated. Use a flashlight to peek in the top of the Egg. Sometimes you may get a round that doesn't inflate. It is still very good to eat, don't throw it away.

Notes

When you take these breads out of the Egg, just toss them in a big paper bag. This will keep the bread from drying out. Once they are cool, you can freeze the rounds in a freezer bag for up to six months.

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare: