Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back ribs

Options
14102 Posts: 4
edited November -1 in Pork

Ingredients

• 3 fat garlic cloves, peeled• 3 Tbscider vinegar
• 1 Tbs kosher salt• 3 Tbspeanut oil
• 1 Tbs black mustard seeds*• 2 tspground hot pepper (I use chipotle*) - this will make the ribs spicy; add more or less to taste
• 12 juniper berries*• 3 slabs baby back ribs (1.5 to 2 lbs. each), membrane removed
• 1 Tbs coarsely ground black peppercorns
• 3 Tbs brown sugar

Instructions

The rub is best made with a stone mortar & pestle, but a small food processor can be used.
Mash the garlic and salt into a paste in the mortar. (The salt helps the garlic break down.)
Add the juniper berries and mustard seeds, crushing them as thoroughly as possible with the pestle.
Add remaining ingredients and stir well to blend.

*Available through spice catalogs such as Penzeys.

Work the rub into the ribs at least an hour before cooking. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate. These don't need to sit overnight, but can be rubbed 3-4 hours in advance.
About 45 minutes before you plan to start cooking, place the ribs in the freezer (for maximum smoke penetration).
Cook according to your desired method. I do them over direct heat (with hickory and apple for smoke), dome temp of around 250, in a rib rack.
They usually take 3 to 3.5 hours. Midway through I rotate the rack, and flip the ribs if the end toward the coals is getting brown.
Let them sit for 10 minutes before slicing.

Notes

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare: