Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckaroo Brisket

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 4
edited November -1 in Beef

Ingredients

• 1 Lines Brisket, point, or flat or whole with fat cap
• 1 Clove of Elephant Garlic or several regular cloves of garlic
• 1 Lines whole shallot
• &#189 lb bacon , regular or smoked, your choice.
• 4 Tbs Frenches Mustard
• &#189 Cup or more of either Dales Marinate or Moores Marinate (later courtesy of JJ)

Instructions

Prep your brisket in the marinate overnight. Directions will say 15 minutes or a hour..Overnight is the way I started. If you have a vacuum seal unit then just unzip the cryovac around the brisket and add the marinate, then close with a paper towel at the opening. Place in a larger vacuum bag and reseal.
If the above isn't available then wrap the best you can in plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Next day...remove from wraps and place on paper towel on the counter.

Slice up in thin slices 1 or possibly 2 shallots depending on the size of your brisket. Keep handy in dish.
Slice up 1 or possibly 2 elephant garlic cloves (more if using regular garlic). Keep handy in dish.

Using a very sharp pointed flat blade knife, lay the knife flat against the meat and with a slight angle make pockets in the fat cap. After making each pocket insert a slice of garlic. Do this about every 2 inches in spacings.

Once you have covered the entire fat cap with the garlic pockets, lay on the shallot slices over the garlic layered area.

Then with a squeeze bottle of Frenches..apply a thin coating of mustard, just on the top of this assembly smoothing with your fingers.

Once you have this all in place lay 5 or 6 or more (whatever it takes for your brisket) slices of your favorite bacon longways...Then apply half cut bacon slices over the long one's to make a blanket of bacon. You want the bacon on top to crisp up during the long cook.

Start your BGE with your favorite long cook method. Lay a chunk or two of hickory in the center over the smoldering charcoal.

Do not allow the BGE to gain speed in temps and insert the meat at 150F degrees for a touch of smoke flavor. Increase to 250F after 20 minutes or so.

I set up the grills this way!
Regular grill in place!
3 firebricks for drip pan barrier with a 8 x 11 or larger drip pan, aluminum lined on the bricks.
2 firebricks on edge as far to the edge of the grill as I can place them.
1 additional grill on the two edgways firebricks.
Place the brisket or portion of brisket on the top grill so it is suspended 4 inches or more above the drip pan.

Roast at 250F degrees for a internal temperature of at least 160F degrees in the very thickest part of the brisket.
I found this a very moist sliceable and tender brisket at this stage.
If you wish the tradition brisket, then continue to roast until you reach the 200F degree internal, wrap in foil for a hour and slice away.
I also wrapped in foil at the 165 degree and rested for a hour. Very nice brisket.
Go for it and thanks..
Char-Woody

Notes

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare: