Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elder Ward's World Class Brisket

Options
Elder Ward
Elder Ward Posts: 5
edited November -1 in Beef

Ingredients

• 4 Tbs Kosher salt
• 4 Tbs raw Hawiian sugar
• 2 Tbs ground Cumin seeds
• 4 Tbs McCormick Chili powder (Chile en polvo oscuro)
• 2 Tbs cracked Black pepper
• 1 Tbs Cayenne pepper fine ground
• 4 Tbs Hungarian paprika
• 2 Tbs Thyme ground

Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a blender and liquify in short burst until the color is uniform and all parts are about the same size. You will have to stop and shake it after every short burst because the fine stuff will settle to the bottom. What we are doing here is heating the spices just enough to bond them together without burning them.
This changes the flavor by melding them together. Reserve ½ cup for use later in side dish but the rest of this is going on the meat.

Place the meat, flesh side up & fat side down on top of a piece or two of wax paper. Do not rinse the meat or pat dry, what ever blood and water falls off when you pick it up is fine otherwise don't mess with it. Cover the flesh side with spice blend until you can't see the meat. Hold up the sides of the wax paper and coat the edges of the meat.

Load up your cooker with BGE Lump or another good quality oak lump. Start the fire dead center and on top of the lump with fire place starter. When it is burning good build a little pile of lump over it so that it lights these larger pieces. When the starter has burned out and the flames are down then spread the piled up coals around the perimeter to have an even fire. Put a fist size chunk of Red Oak, Bark side down on the center fire and lay a equal size piece of hickory next to it. Place your grill on. Close the lid and let the dome get to 275*. Get a V rack (horizontal turkey rack)with handles and flip that brisket over gentily so as not to lose the seasoning flesh side down. Now coat the fat side with the balance of the seasoning so it looks like your cooking a seasoning cake not meat. Insert polder in largest part of meat half way in and place on the grill. Close the lid and stablize the heat at 275* +/- 10*. Set the alarm to 202*. This took about 6-7 hours to cook an eleven pound brisket. When the alarm goes off wrap the brisket in two layers of foil, two towels and pack it in an empty ice chest with the lid closed.

Notes

See sauce in sauce section.
See my method of making Tanker Tim's BBQ beans in sides.
See Japanese Rice in sides.
Finally, slice brisket from smallest end first at about a 30 to 40* angle. Arrange 3 to 5 slices on a plate according to appetite and ladel enough sauce over the meat to completely cover. Serve with a scoop of Tanker Tim's beans ala Elder Ward style. Rice is placed beside the other two dishes on the same plate and is used to clean up the sauce when finished eating the meat and beans. Serve with a good cup of black coffee or sweet ice tea and enjoy.

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare:

Comments

• jfisch
    Options
    Only brisket I make. Tried this recipe years ago. Always perfect.
  • 57Driver
    Options
    I was nervous for my first brisket as I have friends who have turned theirs into shoe leather.  This was moist, smoky and delicious!!  Made it for my parents, wife and kids and they all were asking for seconds!  Thanks for posting this.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options

Man that sounds good.  Thanks for sharing.

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • tommyL
    Options
    Hey, i gotta tell  ya.  I use that Hungarian paprika.  It has a much bolder taste than any other.   I use that for my ribs.  Got the recipe from this guy that ran a restaurant in St. Louis.

I mix a cup of ordinary sugar and a cup of hungarian paprika.  Then add about a tablespoon of powdered garlic.   Wave a salt shaker over it a couple times.  (upside down of course). 

Optional:
    and add about a 1/2 teaspoon (or less) of cayenne pepper.

What you do is rub that stuff into your ribs and then literally "burn"  (not to the point (entirely) of blackened burnt, but lightly burnt with a touch of black on some parts) the outside of the ribs.  This will carmelize the sugar and actually seal in the meats moisture.   Then cook the ribs slowly (very slowly) for about 6 hours.    I'm talking 200 to 225 deg F

great everytime.
    I love that hungarian paprika.