Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to prepare flanken?

arsilvera
arsilvera Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's the story: we don't eat pork and the beef back ribs I have access to are expensive and light on meat. So I've turned my attention to flanken cut short ribs. They are easy to get and have lot of meat (they are still expensive, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad!). There aren't many discussions on this forum about them and I can't find much info about them out there on the 'net. I often come across the Korean style of preparing them (and certainly a lot of indoor cooking methods) but that's it.
I need some help in figuring out the best way to prepare them. What about smoking them? Its a tough cut of meat because it is essentially chuck. If you have any ideas i'm open to it.
Here's what I've done so far:
1. Korean style (once with korean spicing and once with classic bbq spicing): brine/marinade, grill over med fire
Result was good but not great. Cutting against the grain overcame the residual toughness of the meat
The wife (who should be an honorary egghead just for her unflagging support) gave it a "B"
2. Indirect braising: Lump on one side and meat in a shallow pan (with chikn stock, potatoes and onions) on the other. 250-275 degrees for 4 hours.
Result: good taste and texture (not GREAT texture, surprisingly) but not satisfying. Didn't feel like real bbq'ing.
Wife: B+
3. Smoked: brined and put on the egg (PS, DP w/ water, raised grill at 215 for 4 hrs)
Result: There were some bites that were awesome and some that were still tough and/or dry. When I compare it to boiling them for a hour and then putting them on the grill, its better tasting but not as soft.
Wife: A-
Judging by the fat and connective tissue still present I think I should have smoked it longer, but how do I avoid it getting too dry? And how will I know when its done?
Any ideas? Tips?

Comments