Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pablano Relleno

Options
jimi1234
jimi1234 Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

I plan on making some pablano rellenos based on a recipe posted on the board a few times (Steven Raichlen's recipe) and have a couple quick questions.

Do you leave the skin on? Pablano skin is quite tough.

I plan on doing a couple racks of baby backs and want to serve these as an app. I am going to be cooking the ribs at about 275 dome. Will the peppers be successful if I cook them indirect at 275 with the ribs? How long do you think they might take 45 - 60 mins at that temp?

Thanks for your help!

Jimi1234

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Great cook idea. I think I will cook a couple too.

Just stuff the peppers and cook them well, you will be fine. If you use aluminum foil open at the top also use some parchment paper between the foil and pepper. Any cheese or ingredient that is soft will 'mold' into the crinkles in the foil and all that goodness will be lost.

These are cheese/chicken filled Pablano's.

With parchment
    pepperncheese3.jpg

Without parchment, I lost a lot of the good melted cheese trying to pull it out of the aluminum foil.
    pepperncheese1.jpg

When cooking if the skin holds form and looks that bright green it will still be a little hard. When the texture and color changes to a more dull green the skin will be softer. You need to cook the pepper to your liking and until the ingredients are cooked.

pepperncheese4.jpg

Good cooking...

GG 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    If you were doing traditional relleno remove the skin, otherwise don't. The skin help retain the integrity of the pepper. Don't worry about the skin it will soften and peel during the cook.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks guys. Can't wait til tomorrow!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09196a.jpg

DSC00252a.jpg

The skin will become very tender during the cook, be sure to oil the outside before adding the filling. I'd plan on about an hour for the cook with the set up you want to use.

DSC07541a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery