Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef this weekend...

Options
doubleapex
doubleapex Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,

I'm planning on doing some pulled beef this weekend for my bro-in-laws bday party. I put an order in with the butcher for a 10lb chuck roast.

I plan on smoking at 250 or less (with pecan and oak) until internal hits 160.

Then...to the dutch oven on the grill for the remainder.

I plan on doing this in more of a mexican style--with the braising liquid to include a puree of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.

Any tips/suggestions?

I figure I need at least 10 to 12 hours to complete the cook. What do you guys think??

AA

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You might want to consider cutting it down to two or three pieces to speed up the cooking. I did two 4 lb chunks the other day. Took 3 hours to reach 160° then about another two hours in the covered DO to reach 205°. Then I shredded it and put it back in the DO with BBQ sauce and smoked it uncovered for 90 minutes. Pretty much like Clay's method without the bacon. -RP
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Love the idea of the chipoltes and adobo. AZRP, When you put meat in Dutch Oven to 205 internal, did you let egg temp rise (thinking 350) or maintain at the 250???

This is how I am spending Saturday...with beer....and meat...and really great french bread for sams!!!
  • doubleapex
    Options
    @AZRP

I was going to cut it in half--hopefully that does cut down the cooking time.

So you think 5 to 6 hours is enough time?

@LFGenergy

The chipotle and adobo will make this more like a barbacoa--for shredded beef tacos and burritos. Should be good...I hope. :)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I did (2) 4+ pounders a couple weeks ago and it took around 7 hours. Once they go in the dutch oven the temperature rises quickly. Mine went from 160 to 205 in 2-2.5 hours. I kept the temperature at 250 even once they went into the dutch oven.
  • AZRP
    Options
    I took it up to about 300°. -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    I'd figure on about 8 hours, I preheated the DO in the oven to speed things up. -RP
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    How many chipotles are you planning on using? I opened my first can of Chipotles a month or so ago, and was surprised how spicy they are. Much more than I expected.

Thinking I may just chop fine for dutch oven, rather than puree. Also thinking some onions, and garlic, in addition to adobo.
  • doubleapex
    Options
    here's the shopping list I gave my wife haha

Vegetable oil
    White vinegar
    5 large yellow onions
    2 bay leafs
    1 large can of beef broth
    3 heads of garlic
    Fresh ground Cumin (if possible—but in a jar otherwise)
    Mexican oregano
    A few whole cloves

(picked up the chipotles earlier in the week...was going to use 4 small cans, which equals about 2 cups worth) ...for 10lbs I figured that would work.

Since there's so much meat, and I figure the heat will mellow out a lot.
  • Leggsington
    Options

doubleapex. 

How did your cook work out?  I plan on doing a 9lb chuck roast this weekend and wondering if 8 hours is what I should plan on if I cut it in half like you suggested you were planning.