Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How slow is "slowly"?

Options
BostonButterfly
BostonButterfly Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know..........total type A personality here.

I'm working at mastering the temps of my new Egg. I've read all the posts and understand that both top and bottom vents should be wide open until about 50* shy of the target temp. Then I'm supposed to slowly close the vents to reach the target. (I have Grandpa's Grub vent opening pictorial printed and refer to it all the time..) Can you please give more meaning to "slowly"? Is "slowly" one slow motion to the anticipated vent opening? Or is it close an inch.....wait several minutes.....close another inch.......wait several minutes....etc?? About how long do you you spend slowly closing your vents to reach target?

I'm a very patient person, and know this will all come in time, but this question has been on my mind since day one!

Thanks,
Kim

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Yeah, Type-A and the egg aren't a perfect match, but with enough time you will settle down and learn to understand it. Trying to get a precise temp every time with the same top and bottom settings isn't going to happen. Lump is different, conditions change and you will learn to let the egg settle into a temp range and go with it. This time may be 250*, next time may be 260...etc

With that said, there are several type A folks here that you are going to bond with quickly. Understand this, once you over shoot a temp, the egg is tough to get cooler again. So "slowly" (the way you used it)means making adjustments before hitting a target temp so you don't overshoot it. With time you will figure out what settings work well for you and you can go right to them. In the meantime it will be closing the drafts off in incremental steps to stay where you want to be, temp wise.
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    Thanks Crimsongator! So do I understand correctly that when you know your egg and where the approx settings should, you close it right down that that? No gradual closing................just bam......go from wide open right to where your approx vent opening should be?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    As said, temp settings vary. Several factors. However, you might try this. Light the lump, top and bottom wide open until temp gets within 25-30° of target, then set the vents as shown in Kent's pics. Nothing "slow" about it, just shut down to those settings.

Some light the egg and immediately adjust vents to the approx setting for temp desired. They may not be exactly on target, but when they go to the kitchen for prep work, they will be less likely to go back outside and find an 800° egg because they got busy and forgot to check. Takes a little longer to come up to temp that way.

Doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Pretty much as explained, you want to "slowly" close the vents in increments.

I used to do something like this. Aiming at dome 250. When the dome therm reads 175, place daisy on all open, shut bottom 1/2 way. At 200, close daisy, but leave petals open. At 225, close bottom to 1/4 way, daisy petals half. Just about 250, close bottom to 1/8", petals open just a crack.

Now I'm confident enough that at 225, I close to the last step. The temp often slides past my desired 250, but by the time the heavy smoke has cleared, the temperature will have settled in really close to what I want.
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    For me, slowly means not to make too big of adjustments at a time or keep fiddling with the adjustments without giving the egg time to change to those setting changes.

Don't change both DFMT (slider/petals) and the lower vent at the same time unless you know about where your setting will be.

I have cooked on 4 to 5 eggs different eggs some using different lump at this altitude, The vent settings for a given temperature on those eggs are extremely close on each different egg.

The heat in the egg is determined by the amount of oxygen getting up through and established burning lump bed.

One can control the heat by using the DFMT only or the bottom vent only and for most of us a combination. Lower vent closed more and upper open more or upper closed more and lower open more it really doesn't matter as long as the oxygen passing through the lump is regulated. This is probably why folks will say vent setting on each egg is different.

I am not sure if this works as I think, but if I want more smoke flavor in the food I try to keep the DFMT as closed as possible. Less or no smoke in the food I may even not use the DFMT.

It won't take long to learn how you want to have your settings at that time all this will be second nature.

Keep in mind if you are stuck at a temperature or the egg isn't getting to temperature as quick as it normally does most likely there is air restriction in the fire grate or fire box. Use a wiggle rod to establish a good air flow through the lump bed.

Heat = Fuel + Oxygen

GG
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hi Kim, Most of the time I lite the lump with a mapp torch with the bottom vent open screen and door. I then close the dome and the rain cap is off and no dmft at this time. Depending on the way you lite I watch the dome thermometer come up in temperature. If you use the fire starters they will flame up at first and give you a false reading of temperature and you may need to let them burn down. As the temp approaches the target temp I begin by closing the bottom vent first by closing the screen and then wait for the temp to change and as it comes to target temp I then close the bottom door maybe an inch or so. Now keep in mind the rain cap and dmft is still off. Again as the temp rises near my target I close the bottom again. Dialing in the temps like this I will nearly close the bottom vent and eventually put the DMFT on wide open and incrementally close it as my temp rises to my target temp. There are many ways to do things it's what ever works for you. I don't do it like this every time...Good luck and have fun. Tim :)
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    Thanks for all the detailed posts. I really appreciate it. I'm cooking my first Mad Max turkey tomorrow morning, and will keep these posts in mind as I try to regulate the temp. I love this forum! You guys are the best!

Kim
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    When I get my egg going for a low and slow cook, I generally know where the settings should be. I will let the coals get going with the lid open good. Then put the platesetter in and let the temp start coming up. When it gets about 20* lower than I want, I will set the bottom and top where I expect them to settle in. Sometimes it may need to be adjusted but will most of the times it will settle right in withing 15* of where I want to be.

If it drops temp or struggles to maintain, I can open the settings slightly and adjust back down when necessary. It is all a matter of air in and air out.