Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to smoke a belly of a Yellow Fin Tuna

EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Brother in-Law has some Yellow Fin Tuna Bellies and he want me to smoke them for my kid's Birthday Party for for the family. He is saying to smoke it at 175 for 2 hours. The Tuna was caught in last September and Flash Frozen. At least that is what I was told.

Is this possible or better yet which is the best way to smoke these bellies ? Dome Temp ? What type of wood chips to smoke ? Internal temp when done ?

This will be interesting to do. One more thing, he is brining the Tuna Bellies first.

Thanks for the advice.

Gary

Comments

• I had never heard of this, so I googled it.

Check these out:
    http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=95168

and while this isn't smoked, it sounds good.
    http://events.nytimes.com/recipes/4291/1991/09/11/Grilled-Tuna-Belly/recipe.html

it sounds like Alder is the wood of choice to smoke with.

175 for 2 hours sounds low but it does sound like what the guys were talking about on that first link, but I have no idea what internal temp or when it would be done. LC told me once that fish is typically done at 125 (I don't remember the exact number but I know 125 works) and that has saved me many times from overcooking.

As far as cooking at that low a temperature, I would start out with a small amount of lump. maybe use a chimney full and that's all. My rationale is that less lump heating the volume of the Egg won't get the heat as high as a full load.
    I would experiment before actually doing the cook. I have cooked in the low 200's but rarely go below 250.

Make damn sure you take pictures and tell us what you did and how it came out!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Did you forget that you asked this same question 2 days ago??? See LC's answer & questions back to you...it must be old age huh...LOL :);)