Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry brine for smoking mackerel?

Options
Pharmer
Pharmer Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had much success smoking salmon and trout using thirdeye's method here: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=909311&catid=1# but this will be my first time trying one of my favorites, mackerel. Many sites I've come across advocate wet brining. Wondeing if anyone has had success with a dry cure/brine and could share a recipe for hot-smoked mackerel?

Thanks!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Well, the one thing in your favor for curing & smoking is that mackerel is a very oily fish. What I can't tell you is how the cure I developed for salmon will work for mackerel.

The aromatics in my cure (garlic, pepper, ginger & bay leaf) are a natural for salmon. The brown sugar is a little overbalanced with the salt because salmon likes a hint of sweet.

You could always start with 50:50 salt and brown sugar, then add seasonings that would compliment the fish.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Pharmer
    Pharmer Posts: 37
    Options
    Excellent! I'll try that and report back. Thanks, thirdeye.