Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooper Instant-Read Thermometer

Options
Fletch 'n Teggxas
Fletch 'n Teggxas Posts: 135
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody ever used a Cooper Instant-Read Thermometer?

http://www.lobels.com/store/item.aspx?item=302

I want a Thermopen but I am being offered one of these for free so of course I'm saying yes! But I want to know if I still need to get a Thermopen. :silly:

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Matt,

It will instantly start reading temps, but take forever to tell you what your roast is at. When I used one of those, I would pre-warm it in the daisy hole prior to opening the egg to check the meat, then it would be at or close to the meats temp and act pretty much Instant for me. Free is always good, but you should really think about the thermapen.
  • Fletch 'n Teggxas
    Options
    That's what I needed to hear, thanks.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Don't think about it, get the thermapen..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Not sure if you have a Thermapen or not or if you are trying to find a 'good' instant read thermometer. Here is what I went through...

When I first got my EGE I asked the forum what thermometer I should get. An overwhelming number of people said get a Thermapen.

I checked and I had never in my life thought a food thermometer could cost that much.

After buying many other 'instant' read thermometers and spending over a hundred bucks doing it, I decided to spend the 80 bucks or so and get a Thermapen.

That purchase was one of the single best investments I have ever made. It made a huge difference in the results of my cooking, all types of cooking, on and off the egg.

Get a Thermapen.

GG
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Do what Kent said ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Unless it has a probe that is a fine needle tip like the Thermopen, odds are it won't be terribly fast. The thicker the probe, the longer it takes the probe to adjust temperature. There is a little sensor inside that SS probe and it can only measure the temp of the material that makes up the probe.
    The Naked Whiz
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    I have always operated on the principle that a man can never have too many tools.
  • Fletch 'n Teggxas
    Options
    Just picked it up along with 6 6-week dry aged strips, 8 filets and 4 pork chops from Lobel's...yeah I'm excited

Oh and the thermometer sux, I'll still be getting a thermopen!