Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buy now or wait for Eggfest? How much do you save

Options
1968TR
1968TR Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

I am a rookie on this forum and I need some advice. I WANT a BGE. Here's my dilemma: should I buy one now or wait 6 weeks to go to an Eggfest in Indianapolis? How much can you save at these special events? I am interested in either a Large or an XL.

Thanks
Cincinnati-Eggowner-wannabe

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I scrolled up to the Indy Eggfest Banner, clicked on it and came up with this.

http://www.sullivanhardware.com/Demo-Egg-Info_be03bd.html

Gives you all the indo you would need. I would wait, personally, and save the money.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Go to the Eggfest if you can. You should save around 30% or so. Make sure you check first that they still have demo eggs available. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Demo at the eggfest. In addition to the discount, it's already assembled!!!!
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Most of the eggs used at the fests are pre-purchased, and the number of eggs used for cooking at the fest match up with the number pre-sold. Generally you can't show up the day of the fest and buy one at a huge discount.

The fest price is usually a great deal, the egg comes with a full warranty and is used one time, the day of the fest. Can't really hurt an egg cooking on it one time!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Options
    I don't know about that Eggfest but at the Eggtoberfest you can get a large + 2 tickets for 750.00

Doug
    Dallas,Ga
  • Smoking in the UK
    Options
    This thread depresses me - they cost £1,000 over here in the UK! We need our own Eggfest!
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Looks like most Eggheads want you to wait and save a few bucks...

If it were me, I'd buy the egg now and start using it.

Yes, you could save 20% or so, but with the price of eggs in the US, that's only a couple hundred bucks. Look at Smoking in the UK (about $1500.00 US for an LBGE) or for me in Cda (about the same), so in my opinion you're already getting a great price.

If you buy it now, you can enjoy it all summer getting lots of eggsperience, tons of compliments from your significant other and friends, and you'll be ready to share your ideas as a cook at your local eggfest.

Good luck!

Michael
  • 1968TR
    1968TR Posts: 2
    Options
    WOW!!
    Ask and ye shall receive.
    Thank you to everyone who replied. Your input has been extremely helpful. I am going to pre-order one and pick it up the day of the Indy Eggfest
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    The vast majority of eggfests here in the US were started by people just like yourself - people who lived in an area with no fest and wanted one. I started the Seattle fest 5 years ago. Dealers and the distributor came on board and after 2 years, the distributor took it over completely. Now they do all the work. It was a LOT of work getting it started, but worth it.

When I decided to start the Seattle fest, I talked to a lot of the folks who had started other local fests. They were very generous with their information and advice.

So you should start a fest in your area! It helps if you can find a good dealer to work with you.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    What is your happiness worth! unless your saving a load get it now and ENJOY and learn. Besides everyone needs at least 2 eventualy ;)
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I would have said that, too, but unless he's the kind of guy who will be cooking on the egg all the time, 6 weeks isn't that long to wait. And in the meantime, he can be reading the forum and learning.

I guess it depends on what the savings is. Some fests don't offer as much of a monetary savings on the demo eggs as others do. And in that case, yes, I would go ahead and just buy it new.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    1968TR: Not only plan on picking up your Egg at the Fest, but sure also to plan to ATTEND the whole day! You will meet some of the nicest people on the planet, and you will learn a TON from experienced Eggheads. It will be an amazing day for you, and whoever you attend with (or not). Stick around and search this forum, and the recipe section. You will see some amazing things, and reduce your learning curve prior to the arrival of the Egg.
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    Options
    I bought mine at Indy 2 yrs ago at the Eggnaugural Indy Fest. Was worth the trip and Paul was a pleasure to work with. Seems that they also had a special fest price for non-demo eggs (but I would call first). Also there is one this weekend in Frankfort, KY. I have'nt checked into that one at all, have plans and can't make it. But imho the fest price is the best deal going :woohoo:
  • Egger 4 6
    Egger 4 6 Posts: 26
    Options
    FYI...I paid around $1100 for my XL fresh out of the box this past Jan(and that included delivery and set-up). I'm not sure what a nest cost beacause I built a table. I paid $75 for the plate setter. Has there been a price increase? I checked out the link that Brokersmoker sent and the demo XL price seems high.