Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough?

rcplanefan
rcplanefan Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, where are you guys and gals buying "high gluten" flour for making pizza dough? Is that something you can find in a local grocery store? Thinking of trying pizza this weekend for the first time.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Grocery stores, Restaurant Depot, Whole Foods, internet, Fresh Markt...many places to find hi gluten...but plain ol' flour works well also.. :)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I use regular flour and follow the Nakid Whiz recipe.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• rcplanefan
    OK, I'll try the Whiz's recipe. Also glad to hear that "regular" flour works well. I have lots of that. But I'll still check the local stores for the high gluten kind.

Thanks!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    The high gluten flour gives you a chewier crust but it's not necessary. I get it at Restaurant Depot. -RP
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    I get Caputo Tipo 00. High gluten but very soft. Great baker's window. Get it at a local pizzaria or Italian specialty store. www.pennmac.com ships, from Pittsburgh.
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    I use King Arthur Bread Flour; recently for pizza I used half KA Bread Flour and half Animo Caputo Tipo 00 flour. Both are high gluten flours. Hope it turns out good. My personal experience is my pizza making skills improve with experience, therefore I have to make a lot of pizza to see much improvement.

Uglydog
  • rcplanefan
    Just picked up some King Arthur's Bread Flour. We'll see how it goes. Not sure what else is going on the pies yet, but I figure the family will like just about whatever I make. Thanks again for the help. I'll try to post results.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Any bread flour will work. But all purpose will work too. I currently have 2 different recipes rising on the counter to experiment with.

I am currently using part bread flour and part 00 flour. 00 flour is a softer high gluten flour. The reason I don't use 100% 00 is that it doesn't really brown up the same way the regular flour does and the pale crust isn't as attractive, imo. I like the charred bits you see on pizza crusts. Also, with the 00, you really need to eat the pizza right away. As the pizza sits, it gets much softer and chewier. Not that homemade pizza ever really has the chance to sit around too long!
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    I'm with PattyO..."00"is the best for great pizza dough!
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    When I use high gluten, I don't use it until the next day.
    This is the Caputo 00 Flour. This pizza was cooked at 700 for about 3 minutes.
    IMG_0155.jpg