Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping: Pork Butt Mike--a favor?

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mike:

Could you do a good turn? My daughter and her husband have had a Large Egg for several weeks, but find different methods of making wings pretty confusing. I don't think they've registered on the forum yet, but they will.

Could you post detailed directions for wings (they like crispy) for newbies who don't have wing racks? They do have a raised grid. I know you're an expert at wings.

Hope you'll do it!
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Got to watch some of his presentation at Melbourne this March-expert at wings :)
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Hello Judy, expert I doubt. But anyways. I set my Egg up like this.
    Indirect raised grid @ 300.

Take your wings and put on your favorite rub and let sit at room temp. until rub turns wet. Place wings around grid but don't let over hang where its direct, they will burn if you do. I don't go by time cooking them, just cook until done and crispy.

You can add sauce about 30 min. before they are finished. I like using Tennessee Red and I add some dry mustard to it for a little kick. I prefer this instead of regular BBQ sauce, to thick for me.

If you don't have the Tennessee Red, here is a good trick and lots of good flavor. Take your favorite BBQ sauce and mix it with Italian Dressing about 50% of each. Great robust flavor with all the garlic and spices in the dressing.

You will see by going indirect that the top of the wings will start to bubble while cooking. Thats a good thing.

Good Luck Hope they enjoy them.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Judy, who would you trust in making wings?

Him or

128.gif

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Judy Mayberry
    Mike, thanks a bunch. And I do have a giant bottle of Tennessee Red in the refrigerator, NATURALLY!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Is it the hot Florida sun that makes you guys so funny?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    I've been meaning to try letting the wings sit in the fridge uncovered overnight to dry the skin before putting on the sauce. More of a Frank's hot sauce fan, myself.
    M
  • Judy Mayberry
    I'm always in awe of all you people who have room in your refrigerator to put in a big plate of food overnight. My refrigerator is always packed to the gills and I have to majorly rearrange to do that.

Just had to get that off my chest.
    Judy in San Diego