Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ LAMB

Options
Greendriver
Greendriver Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night was the first time I ever did a leg of lamb. Well it has opened up a whole new world of BBQ for me. I never had anything any better in my life. To me it is kinda like in between veal and a good prime rib. Yes there is a little different meat taste but I LIKE IT. This recipe is right out of Paul Kirks Championship BBQ book and it’s simple: cut slits and stuff little half slivers of garlic into em (I used about 8) oil it up good and use your fav rub (Cavenders Greek seasoning is perfect) wrap in bacon and tie and stick rosemary all around just underneath the bacon. Cook at 225 to 240 for 2 hrs and turn continue to cook other side till internal of 140 for med and let rest 30 min. Nowhere I looked for cooking lamb could I find a recipe that called for cooking to a higher temp, but I’d like to know if it’s possible, if anyone knows let me know. The reason I ask, someone I knew once told me that goat is really great bbq and that lamb could be used as a substitute. The way they said it was done was to slice off the outer half inch or so with the bark and put back on the fire and repeat. With the meat I tasted last night being so moist and tender I can just about imagine this method would work, but again if anyone knows – please let me know. Served with some nice Romano cheese risotto and some other stuff they quickly became insignificant. [p]lamb.jpg[p]lamb1.jpg[p]lamb2.jpg[p]lamb3.jpg

Comments

• Greendriver, OOOhhhh... Nice job eh. I also like the flavors of lamb burt remove from the heat like a beef roast; 122-126 ( I prefer on the rare side).[p]As for Goat.. my experience has been (3X) that its almost flavorless. And maybe thats why some like it. A prior co-workers daughter, raising goats agrees, not much taste.[p]Smokey flavord foods to ya.
    HML

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    2004_0131Image0012.jpg
    <p />Greendriver,
    i did one a while back as a low and slow, made a decent pull with it and a vinegar garlic mint sauce, but the pulled lamb had a terrible taste. ive cooked them to all sorts of internal temps and have found i like them best with a rested 130-135 internal. i pull the larger pieces of at 123 and the smaller at 127. trex either rolled or butterflied and roast on a raised grill direct at 325-350 leanning toward 325 if bone in. garlic and rosemary some oregano, but i dont like it with mint much

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Greendriver,
    Check out the lamb recipes under "submitted recipes" for lo-n-slo lamb shoulder (Moroccan meshoui) cooked to an internal temp of 195. IMHO, it's even better than roasted leg.

• Greendriver
    Greendriver Posts: 128
    Options
    Thanks guys, there is definitely more lamb in my future, so I really appreciate the input.