Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

made our first pizzas, fried our first gasket

Options
DanB
DanB Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, we figured we'd try pizza last night. Used whole wheat dough from Wegman's, and leftover pork loin from Sunday dinner, canned sauce, with onions and grilled pineapple. After a bit of a panic trying to get the loaded-up pizza onto the peel to take to the Egg, it turned out pretty tasty, although the bottom was more well done than we like (it was black). Second one (turkey crumbles, onion, and garlic) was better, because we left it on only 7 minutes or so.

Started out at 550F, with a stone down in the spider and another one on top of the AR. After the first one, the temp shot up to 700 or so. I guess I let in too much air while taking off the pizza.

This evening, I went to fire it up for tonight's dinner, but it was glued shut. Well, after reading about gaskets and pizzas here for a couple months, I guess I kinda halfway expected that. So, I managed to slip a knife in one side, and split it enough to open it, but the gasket is definitely fried. The firebox and ring are white again. I guess it got a bit hot, huh?

I suppose a new gasket is in the plans for this weekend, but I'm not going to let that stop me. Waiting for it to stabilize now for brats and corn.

- dan

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    When you are done with tonight's cook, try to bring the egg down to 250 degrees and see if you can maintain temperature. If you can, you might not need a gasket. There are many who have been successful with their eggs without gaskets, I haven't completely fried my first one yet so I can't speak from experience, but sometimes you get lucky that the dome and the base of the egg are perfectly aligned. Good luck ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    That's the right attitude, keep cooking. The day I bought my egg I ordered another gasket because I knew I would toast the gasket because I wanted to try pizza's. So far the spare gasket is in the garage. Glad the pizza turned out good.