Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

24 NYT Bread.

snake701uk
snake701uk Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was curious to try the no kneed bread. Too hot to turn on oven. So I did it in a pyrex on the egg after the cook. I can feel you all cringing from here. But it was all I had. Looked good on the top, but! I really must get a plate setter. LOL. Have a smile on me.
2011052.jpg

Then turn her over! I could have protected it but was in a rush.
2011054.jpg

Interested onlooker. Nothing to do with my nic and he was too fast to catch. Never tried snake on the egg! Lol.
2011049.jpg

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Nice top crust! Hope you did not toss out the bread, just slice off the bottom bark and the bread should be OK and good to eat I would think. There is your new mascot Snake. Cool. B)
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Often I will put a couple of sheets of heavy duty foil then place my rib rack on the foil and it seems to work as good as a PS. I would think if you used foil with a couple pieces of copper tube something under the pan to give some air space it would work fine till you got a PS.
  • snake701uk
    Yeap top is fine Clay. Don't worry it will not be wasted. It was an interesting experiment which I will repeat. However I will make sure I have more time. Massive work issues at the moment. Take care.
  • snake701uk
    The PS here in Italy has been an issue. So I have learnt to get by without. I was in a rush today and "chucked it on". It is certainly an experiment I will repeat. Thanks for your help. Andy
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    I just made up a batch of dough for this week, it stays in the fridge until I am ready to use it. Take it out grab what I need let that rise for a couple of hours and bake, toss the rest back into the fridge.

Great way to have fresh baked bread all week.

I use a metal bowl over the bread for the first 30 minutes of baking on the egg them remove for the last 15 minutes.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • snake701uk
    My daughters thought I was crazy when I tried it. Now they want to do it! Mixed results so far, but I will get there in the end. Andy
  • I make the NYT no knead bread about 2-3 times a week. Put it in a cast iron (enameled or not doesn't matter) Dutch Oven on a piece of parchment paper. It seals the moisture in, and acts like a professional steam oven, which is how they get the great crust. Still need a heat baffle of some kind though (Pizza stone with Egg feet holding the dutch oven would work)

People can't believe when I tell them the bread they just had with dinner was homemade.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    If you work the dough after the rise you can use it for pizza. I have kneaded cheese into the dough to make cheese bread, very tasty. It also makes some of the best garlic bread.

Use it like a calzone and bake a sandwich inside great to take to work, ham, cheese, roasted veg,, mustard, mmmm.

What recipe were you using?

I use this one for individual loaves:

3 C Flour (I use bread flour)
    1/4 tsp. instant yeast
    1 1/2 tsp. salt (Kosher is what I use)
    1 1/2 cups purified or spring water (bottled water works fine)

Mix together the dry ingredients.
    Mix in water until the water is incorporated.
    Cover with plastic and let sit 12-18 hours.
    Remove fold over a couple of times
    Let rise 2 hours
    Bake at 450 on a stone covered with a heat proof bowl or in a dutch over with indirect setup for either, 30 minutes
    Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes. Varying the finale time will adjust the crumb of the crust, less time softer crust.

Here is the link for the website.

For my refrigerator batch I use the following mix

3C water
    1 1/2 Tbl Active yeast
    1 1/2 Tbl salt (Kosher is what I use)
    6 C flour (again I use bread flour)

Mix and place in the fridge for at least 18 hours. When you are ready pull off what you need and follow the directions above.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • snake701uk
    My trial was very similar to your recipe. It was a little too wet when I made the fold. I keep trying to make it firmer but no luck yet. I should reduce yeast even more I guess. I will reduce water.
    I have a stone I could use. Considering that the pasta is so wet, then it could be best to put partchment paper underneath or is that a daft idea? I will try again over the weekend. This time protecting the bread in some way.
    How long will the mix last in the fridge?
    If I can get this bread thing right I will be doing it all the time. But I ate the bread today after cutting off the burnt crust. I broke a tooth!!!!! Expensive cook! Thats life and cooking is fun.
    Thanks for help David.
  • snake701uk
    I will try again this weekend with more time on hand. It is a good challange. Broke a tooth eating the bread today. One extra reason to try again.
    Andy