Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inject your butt?

Options
Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've cooked quite a few butts, but have never injected one. I just use Elder Ward's rub with awesome results. However I was thinking of expanding my horizons. Do y'all use an injectable marinade? If so, if you would share the recipe, that would be great.

Thanks

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    Personally, I never inject anything I cook.

I'm definitely in the "the fewer holes the better" camp when it comes to cooking meat, regardless if it's on the BGE, on a stove top, etc.

If you want to further flavor the meat without additional holes, you can try vacuum sealing with a marinade, or by brining the meat... obviously some meats work better than others for brining.

However, personally, I like to taste the meat and slightly augment that flavor with a rub and/or sauce...

Cheers
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    I have tried doing with and without injecting a butt at the same time a few times (I experimented to see what people thought of each one--plus I wanted to see if buying the injection I do is worth it). Everyone I have served butt to have all said the injected one was the best. I use Butchers pork injection. Once you have tasted one with Butchers injected and one without you will understand.

Here is the link to Butchers BBQ:

http://www.butcherbbq.com/#!injections

Their brisket injection is equally as good.