Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multi-butts

dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For the 4th I'm cooking pulled pork. I asked my wife to get about 22-24# of butts at the store today and she was able to get 2-8# and 2-nearly 6#. Here is my plan to cook these on my XL using the XL rig...any flaws with this plan?

Place the 2 8# butts on the BGE grate and then the 2 5.5-6# butts raised on the rig. I will put my temp probe in one of the smaller butts just to make sure I don't overcook those.

We are planning on eating around 1pm on Monday so I'm thinking to put the butts on around 7pm Sunday and smoke all night at 250F (I do not have stoker or Guru yet and I cannot seem to hold 225F) with the obligatory overnight checks. I'm hoping that has me pulling mid-morning so they can rest in my cooler for a few hours before eating.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• BullyQue
    BullyQue Posts: 48
    You might want to put the smaller butts on the bottom because usually the closer you get to the dome the warmer it is. I know that there is always a difference between the dome and grate temp most of the time around 25 degrees.
  • dsmith
    BullyQue wrote:
    You might want to put the smaller butts on the bottom because usually the closer you get to the dome the warmer it is.

Wow. I would have guess the other way. I am new to the egg since last fall (but cooking A LOT) but very new to multilevel cooking (as in only one other time in which I undercooked some St. Louis ribs :( )
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Que's right, I measured about a 20 degree difference in my Large and both thermometers were calibrated. 250 dome apprx 225 to 230 grate, so smaller on grate. Each butt is different so go by internal temp before pulling. Last butt I cooked was 2.13 hours per lb.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • chudn
    chudn Posts: 28
    Question in this regard. I plan on 40#s on a large. As I add more meat, does it substantially increase the total cook time. If so, how much?
  • dsmith
    I was wondering the same thing as the most I have done before is about 12# total.